Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: How can I completely disable Smart Sync?

Helpful | Level 7

OK - this is great - BUT WHEN WILL ALL THESE Smart-sync files start downloading back as "LOCAL".

I made the change and don't see thousands of potiential files comming down.

Guess it makes too much for DB to have allowed each user to decide if they wanted the "feature" As you said I didn't want it either - I control it with Selective sync myself!

Helpful | Level 7

this change OK now after I made this change - 3 of my 4 PCs now are  "Waiting to be linked to an account"

All worked fine before I made the "turn off smart sync"!!!!!!!!!

Any help out there - wish there was aphone number for us PRO members! 

Dropboxer

Hey @JB M.2,

If you haven't already, can you restart your computers to refresh the app and your File Explorer to see if that resolves the issue with the message you see there.

If not, are you able to see the option to "Sign in" when you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray? If you still see the "Waiting to be linked to an account" message on your desktop app, can you check your Security page here and let me know if the computers are still showing as linked.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Helpful | Level 7

Thank you Yes I booted and entered my sigin & psw - now thousands of files are indexing & uploading - not sure WHY there are so many uploading - expected thousands would be downloading. Going to gice it a couple of days and then do the signin on the 3rd PC and see what happens.

Enhancement - just more work & frustration for users.

Could have been bypassed with just some communication with users asking if we wanted this option! I do a lot of work ooff-line so I need the local copies that I CONTROLLED.

TOO BAD THEY THINK THEY KNOW MORE THAN A USER,

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @JB M.2,

I'm glad to hear that it's sorted out for you now!

If you have any other questions about this then please feel free to drop us a message here. grinning face with smiling eyes

Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Helpful | Level 5

Yay! Finally! Was struggling with this problem for a while!
Weirdly both Google Drive and Dropbox started to rotten - the developers make stupid choices and the formerly solid product becomes a joke. I guess the original developers from MIT are long gone and the decisions are made by sales people. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I completely disable Smart Sync?
15 Replies
15 Likes
Solved! : See solution