Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

How can I disable overlay icons for Mac?

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, the solution to this issue given here https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/I-d-like-to-remove-the-green-checkmarks... is for Mac owners. Is there also a solution for Windows?

Thanks in advance

Angelo

5 Replies

Re: Disable Overlay Icons

Dropboxer

Sorry to inform you about this but not at the moment Angelo.

Should you have any more questions, please let me know @Meridiano60

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

i see the other thread concerning the ability to disable overlay icons has been locked!

This is a massive issue, I, along with a lot of others, do NOT want Dropbox overlay icons taking preference. I don't mind the installer setting them once but to do it each time the service starts is very poor. This should be a configurable option. I have had no alternative to remove the Dropbox application and will look at other tools instead.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Zappos - sorry to hear you feel this way. May I help somehow?

Also, could you please let me know to which exact thread you were referring to? If you were referring to this thread, could you elaborate on what is not working for you as it doesn't seem to be locked on my end or maybe provide a screenshot

Moreover, if I may ask, what kind of computers are you using? Windows or Macs? 

Just keep in mind that our desktop application employs a number of icon overlays and context menus for added functionality which allow our users to understand the state of a file or folder as well as be able to use other Dropbox features.

On Windows there is no option in the desktop application to turn them off and we would not recommend attempting to manually disable these overlays as they play a vital part in the functionality of the Dropbox application for the reasons I mentioned above. 

On Mac you can turn the overlays off; however, due to the above reasons we strongly recommend not turning them off.

As an example, if you run out of quota on your account and are unable to sync or backup data to the web then we will display the red X icon on the files not synced online. With the overlays disabled you wouldn't see this and may not be aware that your Dropbox is no longer syncing.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please let me know if you have any more feedback or suggestions; I will be glad to pass your comments along our dev team for you. 

Thanks in advance for your reply and until we speak again, have a great day!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2
Hi. No it was this thread. https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Ability-to-disable-shell-overlay-icons/idi-p/111622

Whilst I fully understand your explaination I, like many others in that thread, write code and use SVN. Those icon overlays are far, far more important to me than Dropbox ones. In fact my livelihood depends on them to some degree. Therefore having Dropbox simply add the registry entries back every time the service starts is not acceptable to me. Far better would be an option to reapply Dropbox icon overlays if needed rather than force this upon everyone. That way at least those of us who don't want them (or not all of them) can remove them from the registry and not have them added again. A pragmatic solution and an easy one to implement by your developers.
For now, the desktop application is useless to me I'm sorry to say.

Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift and elaborate response @Zappos - much appreciated.

While this is not an option at the moment, you can uninstall the desktop app and access your files only on the web in the meantime to not have our client interfere with your SVN software. 

In any case, I also wanted to thank you for this feedback. We are always looking for user input when creating the next version of our desktop app so I will make sure your comments are passed along to our development team.

If there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know.

PS: I was able to upvote and also post on the thread you mentioned - did you try that and got an error? 

Walter

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I disable overlay icons for Mac?
5 Replies
2 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post