cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Reinstalling Dropbox

How can I go about re-linking an existing Dropbox folder stored on a separate drive?

stashtvm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am reinstalling windows 7 and my old dropbox folder is on a seperate storage drive so hasn't been deleted by the instalation process. When I reinstall the dropbox software it wont let me use the old folder but creates a new folder and starts downloading all my files (0.5Tb). Do i have to delete all my files and download them again (I'd rather not) 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stashtvm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi thanks for the reply, have managed to sort it by creating a folder with exactly the same name as my old folder and windows merged them and now all my files are being indexed now

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@stashtvm), you could link an existing Dropbox folder instead of re-syncing everything anew through the Advanced Settings on the setup window. 

(Note: Please note that you may see Dropbox attempting to upload all of your files again. However, the server will recognize the files and should process the upload extremely quickly.

If any of the files have changed in your account- eg. if someone has updated a file in a shared folder- conflicted copies will be generated for the files which were changed.)

Now, as you mentioned that you had your Dropbox folder in a different location, you should ensure to choose the root folder path that Dropbox used to have, for example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Dropbox" you'll want to select the folder "D:\OtherDrive\Folder". From there, please have a look at the following steps to get going with that: 

Spoiler

#1. Link the desktop application to your account by following the instructions on the screen.

#2. Immediately pause syncing:
- Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray :right_arrow: Click the :gear: icon. :right_arrow: Choose "Pause Syncing" from the menu.

#3. Copy the files from your external storage device into the Dropbox folder.

#4. Resume syncing:
- Click the Dropbox icon in your notification area :right_arrow: Click the :gear: icon. :right_arrow: Choose "Resume Syncing" from the menu. 

Please have a look at my suggestions at your earliest convenience & let me know how you get on with my advice on this discussion here. Thanks for posting us on the Dropbox Community on the matter!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

stashtvm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi thanks for the reply, have managed to sort it by creating a folder with exactly the same name as my old folder and windows merged them and now all my files are being indexed now

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Happy to hear that this has been fixed for you now for you & thanks for sharing the news (@stashtvm):unicorn:

Please feel free to get back in touch on our Community if you have more questions; it’ll be a pleasure to work with you again in the future. Take care until then & have a wonderful weekend ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

MFNL
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have just switched to a new desktop but I managed to transfer the hard disk from the old to the new computer.

On that hard disk are all my dropbox folders.

Is there a way to re-install dropbox on my new computer and let it know where the old folders are? 

The other option is to delete everything, install dropbox and synchronize the new computer from scratch. But I have almost 500 GB of data, and it would take quite some time to download it all.

Thank you all in advance,

Bets wishes

Maria

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @MFNL, kindly note that I moved your inquiry under this discussion, as I had previously posted some steps that could be helpful regarding the task at hand.

Please have a look my suggestions at your earliest convenience & let me know how you get on with these steps or if you have further questions in your next reply here. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again Maria! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

MFNL
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear Jane,

it is all working according to your suggestions. Sorry I missed the previous conversation and thank you for sorting it out.

Bests

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Fantastic @MFNL; happy to hear this has been sorted for you now! Happy Dropboxing ahead Maria & don't hesitate to ping us back here if you need further assistance in any way; we're just a post away. Take care until we talk again & have a relaxed Friday ahead! 🤓

Jane
dropbox.com/support

MFNL
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

a great friday and weekend to you too!

🙂

shadatalam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Dear,

I am using windows 10 OS 64bit. My computer running slow. So I want to newly setup windows 10 OS 64bit. In my drobpox I have more that 30+GB files.
If I newly setup dropbox and then again downloading and sycning file from begening.

But I want to relink my previous downloaded file to newly setup dropbox software.

How is it possilbe, could you please help me regarding this issue?

I am looking for your reply.

Thanks

Shadat

Need more support?