cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

Scott W.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't notice it on Win8.1, but I have already hacked out a bunch of stuff in the registry on Win8.1. I have the Dropbox folder conveniently located in the root of a second hard drive, I don't need the link cluttering up the Navigation Pane, or the Desktop for that matter.

73 Replies 73

Tobias A.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Did not work for me either.

It's coming back.

I don't like that ...

Mike G.59
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here. Keeps coming back.

I have reported the issue to Dropbox.

For now, you can change the permissions of the branch in order to stop Dropbox from accessing it and changing the value from 0 back to 1.

Dimpie B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

REG ADD "HKCR\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\System.IsPinnedToNamespaceTree" /V Attributes /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F

:: To kill and restart explorer
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
start explorer.exe

Paste above in notepad en save as XXX.bat

Run

EDIT: Also doesn't work properly ... returns as soon as you use dropbox.   😞

Bjoern123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Maybe someone is still interested in it, so here is a solution that even works after a restart (at least it keeps working for me after several restarts). It's already explained here, the main trick is the one that Nik mentioned but it seems rather non-obvious so I would like to sum up both steps:

1. Change the value 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}\System.IsPinnedToNamespaceTree' to 0. This should hide the icon, but it still will come back since Dropbox automatically resets the value back to 1 after a restart.

2. To avoid the automatic resets, right click on the folder '{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}' in the left part and select 'Permissions...' and simply disallow the full access. As soon as you hit OK this should hide the folder's content in the registry, if you want to see the content again, re-allow the access (but this also allows Dropbox to reset the value and hence, to show the icon again).

The second part is the main trick here, thanks to Nik!

Nik :D
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm glad I could help 😄

also thanks to Mike G for the better registry key!

let's hope the dropbox devs add a simple setting for this soon...

Joao N.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've tried the solution Björn B. posted with success, only problem now is that dropbox no longer runs at startup even with the option to do it being checked. Probably has to do with the absence of permissions to edit the registry key.

Still... a simple, simple piece of software and people still find ways to screw it up. Also, Windows 10 is a nightmare, very geek unfriendly, it seems that less control over your computer is now a business model.
Any decent IT department could set up a private cloud storage system, they could rent AWS servers and use open source software that probably beats dropbox in terms of version control and customization. Don't know how they keep making money...

Bjoern123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well I did not have troubles with dropbox's autostart so far, but I could reproduce this behavior if I disallow the full access in the registry permissions while dropbox's autostart is currently disabled. So a solution might be to first re-allow the full access and try to re-activate dropbox's autostart. If it auto-starts properly, try to disallow the access in the registry (make sure to also set System.IsPinnedToNamespaceTree to 0 again, as soon as you reboot your computer with non-disallowed full access, dropbox will set it back to 1) and try if both the control panel icon is removed as well as dropbox auto-starts properly.

Joao N.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Auto-start was enabled at the time I've denied Full Control over the key. Now I'll try to reset this behavior by allowing the key to be modified, afterwards I will post my results.
Also, something strange happened, one of the times I re-enabled the the key and restarted, the dropbox appeared in Navigation Pane but its name was: dropbox-personal.

Gosh I would love that these monkey devs would add a configuration to disable this when installing Dropbox. I'm even considering moving to other services since I only use dropbox for my smartphone photo uploads and <competition> offers free unlimited photo storage...

Ahmed F.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

in my case it's disappeared and I want it back

how I did it ??

Steve G.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Absurd to have to jump through hoops. My solution was to simply uninstall Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Malevola M. New member | Level 1
    Joao N.2 New member | Level 1
    Jack D.19 New member | Level 1
    Mike R New member | Level 1
    Andy a.2 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?