cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox offline files don't work when offline

How many years until Dropbox will fix offline files being unaccessible

mcganty
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I see via Google that many people continue to share having this problem. When I update my offline files, they're usable for about 24 hours and then they are no longer accessible. So for example, if you go camping for the weekend, and have some file you'd like to access, you're out of luck. This problem has been reported by many people for at least two years (confirm on Google if you doubt this).

47 Replies 47

William (Mickey
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have song lyrics and chords saved on Dropbox (hundreds of them).  They are arranged in folders, then the songs are listed in alphabetical order in the folder. (example:  Folder 1  Country Music A-I  Folder 2 Country Music J-Z......etc.)

My problem is this:  after each update, I have to go to each folder and open each song to re-establish it on my Ipad to have it available for offline use in places I play that don't have WiFi.  I'm talking 500+ songs; open the file, open the next file, open the next file, etc).  I have looked at the "offline" folder system,  but can't figure out how to do it a folder at a time, and retaining the alphabetical order in each folder.  Without this organization, finding a tune quickly would be impossible.

I MUST be doing something wrong to have to open each and every file after updates so that I can access the file offline when WiFi is not there.  

Anyone have any suggestions to help me through this mess?  I love Drobox, but this re-load every song after every update is making me think I need to leave DB and find a better program for my use.

Thanks for any advice anyone has for me.

Ian H.31
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is complete bullsh*t.

The dropbox app on my phone appears to have been IGNORING wifi connection and using the phone's cellular data all along!!

I have cut my cellular connection and am connected ONLY to wifi and hey, guess what? There is NO communication through the dropbox app. I cannot upload/access any of my things.

It appears the app lies and has been costing me shed loads of money in extra data transfer. The 'help' on here is virtually non-existent as well! 

Here's what I think has been happening with the two issues I was having above:

When you set something to 'offline' it might go in some sort of temporary local memory. If you then exit the app and re-enter later, the file has been wiped from the memory and requires re-downloading/streaming (using cellular data) but it lets you think your file is still 'offline' - thus resulting in my rapidly diminished data allowance. Because the file is kept in a temporary space and only available while the app is open, when you exit the app, that filespace on your device is then available for other data to be written into it. In my case a game filled that space. Then when i open my DB app and view my 'offline' files, the 'offline' file space has been overwritten and the error shows 'there's not enough space'.

And so for that reason, I'm out.

I'm downloading all my stuff and going somewhere else.

Brian O.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there. The only thing that comes to mind is that when on a cellular network, Dropbox will try to spare your data plan. It won't update files unless you tap the Update all button from the Offline files screen. Do you think this could be what's happening?

If not, could you please send me a screenshot of a sample file saved for offline viewing, but subsequently needing to be downloaded again? 

You can read more about Offline files in our Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/267

Neil C.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My data allowance got gobbled up when I played an MP3 file on my iPhone that was apparently available offline. I checked to see why and found that I cannot play offline files unless I have a cellular or wifi connection. Have to say that I am less than impressed.

Daniel S.77
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In the Android app (latest version), I open the offline files screen. Dropbox says "All files are up to date".

I go offline and try to open the files. I receive the error "Can't connect to Dropbox. Make sure you're online" when opening images or "Couldn't load file. Check your internet connection" when opening PDF files.

I go online and click on "Update All". Dropbox says "Syncing..." for a while and then "All files are up to date". When I go offline the problem is still not solved.

Allen M.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It would be great to see a response from Dropbox on this.  I set 2 video presentation files for 'Offline' but when my ipad is offline, I cannot open the video presentations.  I have to reconnect and be online for Dropbox to allow me to open the files.  I don't get any error messages when offline and try to open the file.  It just doesn't open.  

David S.149
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem. The sugested solution is for a Windows tablet, Mine is Android, so is there no solution? If not, what is the point in having "available offline" if it needs a connection every time?

Enrico L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Using iOS 10 I downloaded a file for offline mode. I've been traveling with limited wifi but wanted to work on some MP3 files (editing in Ferrite, an audio editor). The share sheet didn't work, GoodReader couldn't see the file, so I was stuck being unproductive. There isn't much you can do in just the Dropbox app, it's supposed to function like a file system so I can access, that is, manipulate and use, the files with any app I want, not just see a preview. Disappointing. 

Danilo O.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have a similar issue. it seems to me that if dropbox cannot sync the files for some reason, it cannot show the files even if they are marked as offline

Anthony F.13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have te same issue, but I'm an iOS user (9.3.5) and updated yesterday, just before loading the files and setting them to "offline files". I had this in the past, but can't remember how I managed to fix it.

Need more support?