Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

How to change back to the old Dropbox Desktop design

New member | Level 2

The new desktop version of Dropbox is dreadful, I used to really love using Dropbox desktop as it just looked like any other filing system on the computer, now I have side bars that are useless and find it really difficult to locate and drag/save/edit various files easily like I used to be able to.

Is there any way to change back to the normal file design on desktop dropbox? In the corner of the screen when I open dropbox it says "Dropbox desktop beta". I want to go back to normal dropbox, its driving me insane. Can anyone help?

8 Replies

Re: How to change back to the old Dropbox Desktop design

Super User

Hi @Katejw ,

From my understanding, the new Dropbox desktop app is just an add-on of the original file system level integration that should still exist on your computer. So in short, you may simply close the Dropbox desktop app window and continue to use either "Windows Explorer" or "Mac Finder" with Dropbox integrated just like the old days.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Vicker

New member | Level 2

Many thanks for letting us know we could use Dropbox the old way. While I appreciate app updates, the new look is difficult to use and I was about to move all my files to another cloud service. All the best - JJ

New member | Level 2

its so awful the new dropbox i agree!  thank god you can still view the old way, it was far cleaner and user friendly - LESS CLICKS to get to the file! 

WHY on earth did they make it less friendly to use. i understand trying to improve and enhance, but this is the most inefficient improvement ive seen on any system - its got worse. 

@JJ251 wrote:

Many thanks for letting us know we could use Dropbox the old way. While I appreciate app updates, the new look is difficult to use and I was about to move all my files to another cloud service. All the best - JJ

New member | Level 2

I dislike the upgrade and view changed today 10/9/19, how can I go back to the old view? The side bars are horrible! Thanks!

Dropboxer

Hey there @RForzanti,

You can change how to view your files by changing the desktop app's default to open in the File explorer or Finder window like  @Vicker described in the accepted solution.

The exact steps to do this are:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menu bar
  2. Click your profile pic/initials in the upper right corner.
  3. Click "Preferences...".
  4. Click the dropdown next to "Open folders in:" and choose "Finder/File Explorer".

I hope this helps - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Great, that worked. I made an alias of the dropbox and placed it on my desktop. That way it's just like the old version. Thanks!

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @RForzanti!

If you have any other questions about this then don't hesitate to give us a nudge here. grinning face with smiling eyes

Have a great day - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

The new Dropbox is awful.  I've used the old version for years without any problem at all, now everything is a long, drawn-out process and I still don't get what I wanted.  I tried to open a new file and drag and drop photos into it.  The photos disappeared from my desktop and there is nothing in the new folder.  After a lot of time-wasting I found the photos (not attached to any file, just in a list of hundreds of other photos) and installed them back on my desktop but I'm looking for another cloud service for all of my Dropbox files.  Also got a notice of a huge price increase coming in the spring.  They'll have to live without my little donation I'm afraid.  WJ

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to change back to the old Dropbox Desktop design
8 Replies
7 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post