cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Clearing Dropbox cache on iPhone

How to clear the Dropbox mobile app cache on iPhone/iPad?

Marcus D.9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Using an iPhone 5C running iOS 9.1 and Dropbox 4.0.4. The iOS Dropbox app itself is only 55.8 MB in size, however my iPhone is reporting that Dropbox is using a total of 300+ MB in Documents and Data. I have zero files marked as "Offline" within the Dropbox app, so the app should not be storing any Documents or Data locally on my iPhone.

I realize the Documents and Data referenced are most likely the result of recent files being cached by the app, but if this is the case, is there any way to manually clear that cache? Or set a limit of cache size? Currently, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is the only solution I've found, which is far from what I'd consider a "solution". I have to uninstall the app, reinstall it, sign in, wait for 2-factor auth code to enter, set up my Passcode again, set up the Camera Upload again...just a horrible overall process just to clear out the cache.

There are other apps which allow you to either set a cache size, or some that include an option to manually clear the cache. Either one of these options would be better than nothing at all.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tomáš P.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just noticed today that there's a new button in Dropbox settings saying Clear cache. So hopefully the problem is now resolved 🙂

View solution in original post

107 Replies 107

Damiano C.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem. I've got more than 1gb of Documents and Data after one week of usage. I'm simply forced to stop using the app if Dropbox developers can't address to this problem.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I realize the Documents and Data referenced are most likely the result of recent files being cached by the app

Yes, that's correct.

is there any way to manually clear that cache? Or set a limit of cache size?

No, there isn't. They will be removed automatically.

Currently, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is the only solution I've found

Unfortunately, that's also correct.

Damiano C.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I believe that is a major issue to be solved, can't be just left that way.

This way the app is practically unusable especially for people like me who have a Pro account and browse Dropbox files at the daily bases. I'd rather move to iCloud if the issue wont be solved. 

Fu G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey,

I uploaded several videos from my iPhone 6 to Dropbox folders and the total space taken by the app and data exceeded 2.2GB!

The only way to "deflate" the unwanted used space on my device was to delete and reload the app.

That is for sure a major flaw preventing a serious use of this app: I'm confident it will be fixed soon.

Marcus D.9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I actually fixed this issue...by just buying a 128gb iPhone 6s 🙂

Ok, the issue is still there, it just doesn't concern me as much as before when every single used MB on my phone counted. I've got a lot more breathing room now. I'll still "clear the cache" by uninstalling and reinstalling occasionally, but now I'll likely do it once a month instead of 3-4 times a week.

Marco I.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yeah it's just that simple - add the clear cache button and everyone would be pleased!

Damiano C.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox any news? I've got a pro account but I can't use your services. Is adding a "clear cache" button so hard?

Adam H.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here. Dropbox app is consuming 1 GB. I only have a 16 GB phone. Dropbox must add the ability to dump the cache at will. I am a Dropbox Pro customer. We require it. 

Alfredo bicho V
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Definitely an issue. I can bet that apple makes it difficult for Dropbox to let the user be in charge of the cache, so they force all users to use iCloud. Fortunately OneDrive works better

Need more support?