cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Clearing Dropbox cache on iPhone

How to clear the Dropbox mobile app cache on iPhone/iPad?

Marcus D.9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Using an iPhone 5C running iOS 9.1 and Dropbox 4.0.4. The iOS Dropbox app itself is only 55.8 MB in size, however my iPhone is reporting that Dropbox is using a total of 300+ MB in Documents and Data. I have zero files marked as "Offline" within the Dropbox app, so the app should not be storing any Documents or Data locally on my iPhone.

I realize the Documents and Data referenced are most likely the result of recent files being cached by the app, but if this is the case, is there any way to manually clear that cache? Or set a limit of cache size? Currently, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is the only solution I've found, which is far from what I'd consider a "solution". I have to uninstall the app, reinstall it, sign in, wait for 2-factor auth code to enter, set up my Passcode again, set up the Camera Upload again...just a horrible overall process just to clear out the cache.

There are other apps which allow you to either set a cache size, or some that include an option to manually clear the cache. Either one of these options would be better than nothing at all.

107 Replies 107

Rupert r.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is indeed a problem, and it pisses me off. Dropbox may be obnoxious (no more so than any other tech biz I'm sure) or not, but I think this is more a reflection of the issues at Apple about on-phone storage. Apple phones really are the only ones that are so expensive for the storage options. I shouldn't think a single Android user even considers this a problem as they can put hundreds of gigs of storage on their phones cheaply and easily.

I'm a big iOS user and also old enough to realise that this is the same argument people were having about some software being 'bloaty' in the years when HDDs were small... The solution, sadly, is just buy 64GB or 128GB iPhones. Do i want to? No. Will my work provide one? Not readily. But I choose iOS devices - and if you do too, you should be aware of their limitations, as well as those of Dropbox.

Utzu L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The app has a "Clear Search History".
We jus need Dropbox to add a "Clear Local Cache" button. I don't see why that has to be a Dropbox limitation.

Mark L.64
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'd like to chime in here, I've just had to uninstall and reinstall DropBox on my iPad, to get some much needed storage back. I've been a Pro customer for many years now.

All we need is a clear cache button.

DropBox are you there?

Transcribe O.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

On the bright side, it's so nice to know I am not alone in this problem! Probably the best advice (for me) is to migrate my Dropbox stuff to Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive. Because I don't have the patience to uninstall & reinstall the app every week or so AND if the company does not acknowledge the "issue" that so many people have, then it is not a good company.

esd a.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

From my 'other' computer (not the iphone) I am right now migrating the Dropbox files over to MS OneDrive using a service called MultCloud.com. Then I will see if a OneDrive app works well on the iphone (because who knows, it may have the same memory hog problem as Dropbox). But if it works better -- I'm Dropping Dropbox.

Nick B.43
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've now migrated to OneDrive @ £50 per year, which nets me the 1TB plus all the office suite. Chuffed at the deal and also the upload speed is WAY faster than DropBox ever was. Managed to transfer all 700+gb in under 3 days on my home connex.

Transcribe O.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This afternoon I deleted the Dropbox app from iPhone after installing the OneDrive app. Now I just need to wait and see if OneDrive accumulates (takes over) the same large amount of memory that Dropbox did. I'll wait a week or two. Worst case I can always reinstall Dropbox. I really like that cloud file transfer app MultCloud.com

Mike K.61
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Really appreciating all these updates. I'm reluctant to part with my dropbox subscription just yet,  even though they're clearly abandoning their users, just because I'm grandfathered into an old plan with unlimited file recovery and more storage. But if I keep seeing detailed good reviews of onedrive or other services on here I may be confident enough to make the switch. Please keep on updating us.

Marcus D.9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Transcribe O., it's not a matter of having to wait and see if OneDrive is going to accumulate the same amount of memory over a given time. It's going to. That's the nature of any app that accesses data stored on the internet. Look at Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, etc.. They all become bloated with time. The question becomes how well the app manages its own cache and how often it clears its cache (if it does at all).

But to better answer your question, I went ahead and installed OneDrive, logged in, went to Settings, and then went to Account settings. Lo and behold, there's a "Clear Account Cache" button.

That's all Dropbox needs to add as well, and I'm not sure why they haven't. They already have a "Clear Search History" button. Please add "Clear Cache" directly above it. This should not be that difficult.

Transcribe O.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My version of OneDrive doesn't have what you described: "Account settings. Lo and behold, there's a "Clear Account Cache" button."
There is an "account" under settings that lists the email I use for the account. That's all. No clear cache button/box. It could be that I can only use an old version of the app for an iphone4 but I also read on another clear cache app review in the App Store that they had to remove their clear cache function because of a legal problem with Apple.

Need more support?