cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Clearing Dropbox cache on iPhone

How to clear the Dropbox mobile app cache on iPhone/iPad?

Marcus D.9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Using an iPhone 5C running iOS 9.1 and Dropbox 4.0.4. The iOS Dropbox app itself is only 55.8 MB in size, however my iPhone is reporting that Dropbox is using a total of 300+ MB in Documents and Data. I have zero files marked as "Offline" within the Dropbox app, so the app should not be storing any Documents or Data locally on my iPhone.

I realize the Documents and Data referenced are most likely the result of recent files being cached by the app, but if this is the case, is there any way to manually clear that cache? Or set a limit of cache size? Currently, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is the only solution I've found, which is far from what I'd consider a "solution". I have to uninstall the app, reinstall it, sign in, wait for 2-factor auth code to enter, set up my Passcode again, set up the Camera Upload again...just a horrible overall process just to clear out the cache.

There are other apps which allow you to either set a cache size, or some that include an option to manually clear the cache. Either one of these options would be better than nothing at all.

107 Replies 107

Whitefx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Just cancel like I did. There are plenty of other competitive options that have less hassle.

PDLandis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for sparing me any more agony over this problem.

I think Dropbox's answer to uninstall and reinstall just to clear cache is flatly unacceptable.

Time to look elsewhere.

Tomáš P.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just noticed today that there's a new button in Dropbox settings saying Clear cache. So hopefully the problem is now resolved 🙂

David5104
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I don't see this setting option on iPhone 6 using iOS 10.3.1

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @David5104, welcome to our forum :slight_smile:

Try this to find the Clear Cache feature: 
  • open the Dropbox app on your iPhone 6
  • at the bottom left of your screen, select Recents
  • at the top left of the next screen, select the Gear icon to get to settings
  • here you’ll see the Clear Cache option
I hope this helps! 
Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

David5104
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Works great. Thanks!!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

effardyeffendy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have just recently bought Dropbox 1TB storage, so I decided to upload all my videos to Dropbox. Yet the storage of my iPhone gets bumped as well.

I have tried clearing the cache, but it doesn't do much reduction.

Kindly help?

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @effardyeffendy, welcome to our forum!

Once you have uploaded your videos to your Dropbox, you can remove/delete them from your iPhone’s local storage.

If this isn’t the case here, I suggest you write in to our support team so an agent can troubleshoot further with you.

Thanks, and have a great weekend 😎

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Bernie77
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Nice, we have a "clear cache" button now.  Guess we should have been more specific.  Could we have a "clear cache" button that also clears the cache when pressed?  The current one does nothing to reduce the over 1GB that dropbox is occupying on my phone.

Need more support?