Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

How to delete the Drobox app

Level 6

I need to delete the Dropbox app as it is no longer supported. I have tried to move it to the trash but I get the following message;

The item “Dropbox.app” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open.

Would you please tell me how I remove this app as I get an annoying message to enter my email/password every time I start up my computer. BTW, I am on a Mac.

Thx

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: How to delete the Drobox app

Dropboxer
Hey there @werd,

Can you click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, then click the gear icon in the top right and choose “Quit Dropbox”. You can also force quit any Dropbox associated processes that might be running.

You then should be able to go ahead with dragging the Dropbox icon from your Applications menu to the trash to uninstall it.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 6

Hi Daphne,

I tried repling to your email through community@dropboxforum.com but it kept bouncing. When you say "Can you click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar" I'm not sure where you mean. I've attached an image of where I think you mean but I cannot find the gear icon in the top right to choose “Quit Dropbox”. Would you please indicate where I find this Dropbox icon that has the gear icon?

BTW I am still using Mavericks if that matters.

Thanks!

Dropboxer
Hey again @werd, apologies for the tardy reply here!

I wasn’t able to see the screenshot unfortunately, but I have added an image below of where you should see the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

Mac desktop icon.pngDropbox icon in menu bar

If you aren’t able to locate the icon or can't quit the app from there, you can also try to Force quit the app if it is running on your device and then you should be able to go ahead with uninstalling it.

Let me know who it goes - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 6

Ok. I quit it and deleted the app in the apps folder.

Thanks!

Dropboxer
I’m glad to hear that you've now successfully uninstalled the desktop app @werd!

Hope you have a great start to the week - Cheers!

Daphne

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to delete the Drobox app
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post