cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

How to open the new Dropbox Desktop Experience window together with the Classic Dropbox System tray

Helpful | Level 6

The new Dropbox Desktop Experience can sometimes come in handly for instance to check when clients starred files or gave comments. But I don't want it to start with Windows every time and I still want to use the classic small Dropbox status window in the System tray. So it would be way better if you make it a different app that can be started from whitin the Classic Dropbox status window with a button (just like you can open Dropbox Paper or the Dropbox website).

So please developers consider it, it is really inconvenient now how to open it, I need to:

• get in to Dropbox settings
  • set the Open the Desktop app when starting Windows checkbox
  • Quit Dropbox
  • Restart Dropbox
  • Use the new Dropbox Desktop Experience
  • get in to Dropbox settings again
  • unset the Open the Desktop app when starting Windows checkbox

Don't you think it's really un-user-friendly to do so many click every time I like to use the app. Please consider it

1 Reply

Re: How to open the new Dropbox Desktop Experience window together with the Classic Dropbox System t

Dropboxer

Hi @Kleajmp F., I hope you're well today!

Perhaps I can help by suggesting some other options for opening the new Dropbox app.

The first option would be to set the default for opening files/folders within the app rather than File Explorer. You can follow the steps here, and choose to "Open in Dropbox".

With this setting, if you double click on any file/folder from the Dropbox icon in your system tray, it will automatically open within the app (even if it's not running at the time).

Another option is to use the right click menu. Either from a file/folder in your File Explorer or from the Dropbox icon, you can right click and choose "Open with Dropbox".

The last option I can suggest is to click the Dropbox icon, and then the folder icon in the top right. When the default is set to "Open with Dropbox", this will open the new app.

With these, you can also leave the "Start on system start up" option turned off, as any of the above steps will launch the app for you.

I hope these suggestions help, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to open the new Dropbox Desktop Experience window together with the Classic Dropbox System tray
1 Reply
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post