cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hundreds of background processes, new windows opened

Hundreds of background processes, new windows opened

WillHermann
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox seems to be stuck in a loop, and opening hundreds of background processes. This consumes all my CPU capacity, then eats at my memory and disk space. See attached pics. There also seem to be windows being automatically opened, as my typing or mouse clicks in other apps is interrupted when the hundreds of background processes are opened. The number seems to level off after about 1650 (about 100 are from other sources; I waited for a few minutes after startup to start the dropbox app, and didn't have too much trouble until I opened other programs that access files on Dropbox).

I went through the file permissions troubleshooting, and it came back with an error about the cookies file. I couldn't find it in order to try to fix it. 

\Users\(username)\Cookies\*: Access is denied Performance Post Dropbox and other apps startupPerformance Post Dropbox and other apps startupprocesses post startupprocesses post startupprocesses pre-startupprocesses pre-startupperformance pre-startupperformance pre-startupSuccessfully processed 644 files; Failed processing 1 files

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

UnableToUse
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I appear to have resolved this, by uninstalling, removing my local dropbox folder and re-installing (and allowing the subsequent download). Now I only see 4 Dropbox related processes, and system performance is normal.

It appears that the issue was actually related to firewall changes in my network. Apparently Dropbox was spawning processes that would then wind up waiting indefinitely, instead of completing and exiting. Apparently there is no check for system load, number of child processes, etc. And the question remains as to why the Dropbox servers are now showing up on my block list.

While this fix worked for me, if folks have a significant amount of data in their Dropbox, they may be more reluctant to try it.

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @WillHermann, thanks for checking in with us and for the screenshots!

As a first step, could you confirm for me if you've tried rebooting your computer?

If you have, could you let me know what you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WillHermann
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've restarted at least 8 times in the effort to fix this problem, varying whether Dropbox is to start upon login or not. 

When I hover, I get Dropbox 89.4.278, Up to DateDropbox hover.PNG

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your swift reply, @WillHermann

I'd be more than happy to send you a ticket so that we can have a better look into this. 

Before I do though, could you confirm if you've checked this article out, which provides some suggestions on how to tackle high CPU/RAM usage?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WillHermann
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

1-all files synced

2-disabled our anti-virus, still getting the problem. Don't feel comfortable turning off the windows security. can't think of another app

3-I already described the error I get when setting permissions, and I can't figure out how to fix it

4- all files synced, not excessive

5-I don't think so...

6-In regular hard drive

7-no symlinks, other users in same folder not having issues

Is this a chatbot? Can I call someone?

WillHermann
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Fun new twist: those hundreds of processes are starting up without starting the Dropbox app

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking those out for me, @WillHermann

At first, I can confirm: 100% human. :upside_down:

Moving on to your main concern though, from your initial screenshots, I'm afraid I don't see any processes that relate to the desktop app.

Also, since the desktop app isn't running when you experience high CPU, the cause could be related to an external factor, such as a third party app (for example, I can see that you're running a few that show up at the very top of the list under Power usage).

For this reason, I'd recommend looking into other third party apps that could be causing this.

If you're still having trouble with this or you reach a dead-end, please contact our Support team for a more in-depth look. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Minas S.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the exact same problem. It all started after the update of 26.01.2020.

Instead of having us trying random things (I refer to the article that you pointed above) and telling us to restart, just admit that dropbox **bleep**ed up completly with the latest update and have cost us quite a few human hours already.

I can confirm that after uninstalling dropbox I managed to regain control of my computer and finish some urgent work that i needed done, but apparently that means I have no longer the auto-sync from my hard disk.

Please solve the problem and post the solution. I am fairly sure it must be quite widespread!

Thank you in advance.

UnableToUse
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have the identical problem. Hundreds of Dropbox processes, chewing up all available memory, CPU, and disk cycles.

No tray icon to shut them down, and system too un-responsive to manually stop each of the multitudes of processes.

I uninstalled Dropbox as well. I'll be waiting to hear of a fix before I re-install - or if it takes too long, I'll switch to an alternative service.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Minas S. and @UnableToUse, thanks for nudging us on this thread and sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with high CPU/RAM usage. 

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you, and to ensure that I have a better visual of what you're seeing, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of your Task Manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (Mac) showing these processes?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

brian-bel New member | Level 2
    mpoling Explorer | Level 3
    DeanPavlakis New member | Level 2
    fido123 New member | Level 2
    Minas S. Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?