Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

I am having an issue where I can't edit files. Can you help?

New member | Level 2

Hello, 

I'm opening an exisiting file on dropbox using the 'Open With' tab to use microsoft online. When it opens in microsoft online an error message comes up that says 'Sorry this document can't be opened for editing' and then switches to the reading view. Can you help me work out how i can edit my file? 

Thanks

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: I am having an issue where I can't edit files. Can you help?

Dropboxer
Hey there (@pditrocchio), have you uploaded this file yourself or have you been granted access through a shared folder perchance? Now, that’s a mere guess on my end however I’m wondering if the the file has been password-protected. Can you preview the file on your Dropbox account online? 

If my thought applies, then it would be worth noting that password protecting documents will prevent them from being previewed on the Dropbox website as well as prevent them from being opened in Microsoft Online.

If you get the message that a supported document type cannot be previewed or you get an error message that there was an issue opening the file in Microsoft Online, the file may be password protected. If you want the file to open or preview via Microsoft Online you'll need to remove the password on the file.

Hopefully my tip above is-even slightly- helpful in regards to your initial inquiry however let me know how my hints work for you & I'll follow-up a bit more closely

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I am having an issue where I can't edit files. Can you help?
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey