Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

I can't connect to Dropbox on my iMac as it's trying to change the device's name. Help?

New member | Level 2
My iMac will not sign in to Dropbox. Yet the iMac is listed on my Dropbox device list and has been working fine up until now. 

It appears as if the Dropbox app is trying to change the device name of my iMac to a new device name.  I'm not sure why this would be happening? I did not rename anything nor do I want the device renamed.  

This presents a problem because I am over the new 3 device limit (I have 7 devices grandfathered in as approved devices) and cannot just remove / add a new device.

Again, my iMac is listed on my device page but it cannot connect because the Dropbox App is trying to rename my iMac to a different device name. 

Thanks in advance for the help!
Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Device Name

Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox shouldn't have permissions as powerful as to rename a device.  Do you have screenshots or more information?  Have you already tried removing the device and then signing in again?

New member | Level 2
I know right!? However, the device was renamed. Did it possibly happen with an OS update? Idk. No need to post to screenshot because I don’t want my user info on there. But it did happen.

Yes I did try removing and reinstalling to no avail.

Thank you for your response.

Helpful | Level 5

Hmm... it could be because you are over the free device limit.  I would recommend just asking Dropbox support from here because renaming devices sounds like a serious issue. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I can't connect to Dropbox on my iMac as it's trying to change the device's name. Help?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post