Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

I can't edit word files saved on dropbox

Explorer | Level 4

Dear all,

I have downloaded and configured Dropbox on my Samsung android tablet around two weeks ago.

I am facing two issues that I would like to share with you please:

1- Why I have to press on three dots (Ellipsis) and select open with to open the file word rather than the defualt application.

2- After I open the file with word application i got an error asking me to upgrade the save (save) with another name to able to work on it. 

Note: the file is not read only.

4 Replies

Re: I can't edit word files saved on dropbox

Dropboxer
Hi there @samerrustom,

I’d like to ask if you can clarify a few points for me so that I can assist you more accurately. In your first question, are you referring to wanting the Microsoft word app to be the default for opening Word docs? Or do you want to open the file with a different app?

Regarding the error message you see, could you please take a screenshot of this (excluding any personal info) so that I can better understand exactly the error that is showing. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the late response.

Regarding my first question, once I press on the word file on dropbox application on my android tablet it open with viewer app rather than Microsoft official application.

I have to click on the ellipsis and choose open with a different app and choose word. Once it opens on WORD application it shows a bar asking me to uprad to be able to work on the file. 

I press on upgrade then it take me to save the file. After i save it i will be able to edit it.

Best Regards,

Dropboxer
Hey again @samerrustom, I’m here to help whenever you have the time so no rush!

So from what I understand, you have another app set as the default for opening Word docs on your tablet. You can remove this as the default app with these steps:

1. Tap the menu icon in the top left of the Dropbox app
  2. Tap on Settings
  3. Choose to Manage default apps
  4. Tap Remove next to the app you want to remove as a default

Then you can go back to your Word doc and then when choosing to “Open with” you will be able to choose the Microsoft Word app and set this as the new default by choosing “Always”. 

To have a better understanding of the message you see within the app, can you take a screenshot (excluding any personal info) after opening the file in Word where you see the “upgrade” notification?

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

For the 2nd q, this might be better suited for Microsoft but my suspicion is the Word doc is a newer version of Word than the app on your tablet supports. If you can save the file in an older version of Word (save as> then choose an older version) you might be able to open/edit it properly with the android version. I also found these which might help: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6055139?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

and

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/word-for-android-tablets-help-8a0dcd56-fb32-4e0d-95d8-997c0...

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I can't edit word files saved on dropbox
4 Replies
0 Likes