cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I can't open Microsoft files on my mobile devices as I'm getting an error.

Why can't I open Microsoft files on my mobile device?

sellenwright
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I updated my iPad Pro & now I can't open Dropbox files in Microsoft apps. I can see Dropbox, and I can open in other apps (Adobe, for instance), but Word, Excel, etc. tell me that the server is gone or the files are no longer on the server. But they are where they belong, and I can open them on other devices.

173 Replies 173

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey fellas - apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused so far and thank you for alerting us to this.

Our engineers are already aware of the problem and are investigating.  

I'll make sure to circle back here to let you know more as soon as I have an update to share. 

For the affected users noticing these errors when trying to access their Microsoft files (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) I'd suggest that you logged a ticket with our team so we can look into this and help further with all of our tools at our disposal. 

Thank you all for your diligence and have a great rest of your day.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

RemyLeroy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You need first to install an old version of iTunes on your Mac (version 12.6.4 is the latest one that deals with apps installation) https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/091-60759-201803029-1F70CB08-3131-11E8-9791-31052B2AA206/...

then on your Mac you open the folder /Mobile apps within the /Music/iTunes library folder and search for excel.ipa file

you open your backup disk and search for an older version of this excel.ipa file and replace the newer one  

then you suppress Excel on your iPhone/iPad

then you plug your iPhone or iPad with the lightning/usb cable to your Mac and after selecting your iPhone within iTunes, in the app section you drag Excel to your iPhone. That will install the "old" version of excel on your iphone 

vavmc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello

Hope you can help me. Yesterday all worked perfectly. 

Today Im having trouble getting into my dropbox from the word app (all office) on my ipad. I can get straight into my files on the dropbox app but cannot open them in word, edit them or access any dropbox file through any office ios app. 

Please help! This has been driving me crazy.

Brontola1976
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
ok thanks a lot 🙂 although I unfortunately I have windows 😞

kirstyhill
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
it appears to be an issue since the new dropbox update, see previous messages, dropbox are working to fix it 🙂

Stuart C.8
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a temporary workround for reading dropbox Excel files from my iPhone.

Click "Open" (file symbol) at the bottom of Excel. This takes you to Places. Click "... More". Click "Browse" (file symbol) at the bottom of the page. This takes you to a list of recent files which you can download and open. You can autosave but cannot save a copy as you get the "Cannot Open Folder on Server" error message.

Renzo74
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
WORKAROUND FOUND! while waiting for a solution fron dropbox or ms I found this workaround: I can open and save my ms office files stored in dropbox form ms office apps passing through “ios file app”, in ms word (or excel) tap on “other” than get dropbox through file app it seems to work for opening and saving

Juunas
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@Walter, I submitted a more detailed report, ticket #8901765

FredC74
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you Walter, looking forward to the fix/update

FredC74
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks, I have Windows too