cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

I can't sync my files as expected & the desktop app has been stuck in a "Syncing/Indexing" loop.

New member | Level 2

Hi, I would appreciate some help from people who are no doubt more knowledgeable than I am!

My Dropbox will sync and index every single file that is on it everyday.  This is making my laptop very slow, sometimes unusable, and if I try to work on any of the files on my Dropbox it will save as a 'conflicted copy'.  Now Dropbox appears to be stuck in a loop.  The icon will pop up in the bottom right corner of the screen with a little bell saying, "New files will start as local.  Your admin updated this Smart Sync setting for your team".  When I hover over it it says "Starting..."  Then the Dropbox icon will turn grey and say "Connecting..." then it dissappears and starts all over again.  

I'm not entirely sure what is going on, so I would appriciate some help.  

The Dropbox Product Version is 83.4.152

Thanks,

Martin

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Synching everyday

Dropboxer
Hey @Martin21, your description has been very informative; thanks for that! 

It would be great if you included a screenshot (omitting personal info) of your view as the app has been looping; please post it in your next post here if possible. Also, can you clarify if that's happened after latest update for you or you've connected the issue to a different behavior/event on your side?

Thanks & once you get back in touch with me, I'll make sure to address your initial inquiry a bit closer!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Dropbox issue.JPG

Hi Jane,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  The issue happened a month or so ago, I'm not sure when exactly.  I have added a series of screenshots.  You can see I get the message about the local files, then it will start connecting, then dissappear, then start again.  

Thanks,

Martin

Dropboxer
Thanks for the visual input @Martin21; this has been very helpful! 

Following from your your initial message & the screenshots, it looks like the application has been silently crashing in the background, so I’d suggest proceeding with a complete un-install & re-install to see if this fixes the issue. 

Could you also disable your Antivirus temporarily to check if this interferes in any way? 

Please keep me posted on the outcome & I'll make sure I’ll touch-base with you soon! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I uninstalled Dropbox from my computer and re-installed it, which has solved the crashing issue but now I have two Dropbox folders on my computer?  I have a "Dropbox" and a "Dropbox (company name)" on my C drive.  I don't know why this has happened?  The Dropbox (company name) is the account I need to use but it doesn't have the smartsync symbols on the folders, whereas the Dropbox folder does have this.  How do I remove the Dropbox folder and make the Dropbox (company name) folder smartsynced?

Thanks,

Martin

Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping us in the loop on progress Martin! 

It looks like you have two Dropbox accounts & you've linked a team account following the setup flow after the installation. Would you mind adding a second screenshot (omitting personal info again) showing me what the two directories look like on your File Explorer? 

I’m interested in seeing whether you’re viewing any sync icons on either of the folders. Thanks again! 

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I can't sync my files as expected & the desktop app has been stuck in a "Syncing/Indexing" loop.
5 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey