Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

I cannot install desktop app

New member | Level 2

Laptop dell inspirion 3000 series. Windows 10.

I have checked whole system, clear all junk files, clear registry.

I tried to normal installation, and offine instalation.

No results, i just cannot install. After few seconds i get the message:

"The installation was unsuccessful. The application of dropbox installer failed to startIMG_20190301_075733.jpg

3 Replies

Re: I cannot install desktop app

Dropboxer
Hey there (@MarekW), thanks a lot for your detailed description & the screenshot of the error message you received, let’s check what’s happening together! 

For starters, I’m wondering whether any application running in the background has been blocking Dropbox from performing as it should, so we'd need to rule out this as a potential culprit. If I were in your shoes, I’d go ahead & re-install our app using the Offline installer that should eliminate similar discrepancies (& you can reference the steps outlined below to get going with that)

More information
  • Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  
You may give my suggestion a go whenever you find some spare time & please do let me know how you get on with my advice on our discussion here. Happy March! 🌷

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Dear Jane. I tried to make fresh install several times. I was using both normal instalation file, and offline instalation file. Every single time i have same result as You saw on screenshot. I am not using any antivirus software at all. Only standard windows Defender.

One thing that i did not mentioned - the system is on the drive that was clonned from another drive. All apps works, dropbox was the only that did not work. So i uninstalled dropbox app, clear all junks/registry/startup files. I restarted system, few times, but there is no way to install dropbox app again.

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me to let me know of the progress (@MarekW)! If it’s not too much trouble for you, can you give our Offline installer another go after disabling Windows Defender, as this may be the culprit for the issue you’re facing? 

In case you’re still facing the same behavior after you follow my advice on your end, I’d advise further discussing that through our Official Support channel, as you’ve mentioned that you’ve already tried to run an Advanced re-install on your end. If you’re still seeing the same error message, I’ll make sure to reach out to you directly on my end. 

Please let me know of the outcome on this discussion, in order to get to the bottom of this discrepancy together. Thanks again for the time you’re devoting on this matter & I'll be awaiting to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I cannot install desktop app
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post