Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

I'd like to be able to password protect the Dropbox app in case my device is stolen.

Helpful | Level 6

There have been numerous discussions about password protection, but none addresses my issue:

I use Dropbox to save and share data between a laptop and a desktop PC.  I set Dropbox to run from startup on both machines.  Consider the scenario that one of the machines is stolen and the thief manages to break the Windows log-in password.  Windows would then open Dropbox.  Suppose the thief then wipes the Dropbox folder.  Dropbox will then delete all data from the cloud which will in turn delete it from the other machine.

A solution to this would be to password protect the Dropbox app.  If the app can't be opened then it will not synchronise data between the Dropbox folder and the cloud, so it will not be possible to delete data from the cloud and/or the other machine.

This would be a very simple enhancement for Dropbox to implement.  It could be configurable through Settings so needn't affect anyone who doesn't want to use it.

8 Replies

Re: Password protection

Dropboxer

Hi @RouseA!

Thank you for taking the time to share this idea with us - I understand that protecting your Dropbox content is of the utmost importance, and will be forwarding your feedback to our team.

You can also post about it on our Share an Idea page, where other users can upvote it as well. 

In the meantime, in regards to your concern in case a device is stolen, we do have security measures available in order to keep your account safe. Specifically, you can always unlink any of your devices directly from your account's Security page on the website.

Doing this will also give you the option to remote wipe the Dropbox folder from the device the next time it comes online.

Let me know if this helps! 

Helpful | Level 6

There are two problems with this:

1. If I am away from home with my laptop, and it is stolen, I won't have any means of accessing Dropbox to delete the device
  2. The solution you suggest to Remote Wipe a device doesn't work.  I followed the link you gave and it says that if you select a device and Unlink it you will be given the option to delete data on the device.  However, this option isn't given.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @RouseA!

In regards to the option of remote wiping the data; the Dropbox mobile app only previews the content of an account, so unlinking it wouldn't provide the option to delete any data as there wouldn't be any data saved locally to delete - as is the case with the Dropbox folder on a desktop device. 

Do let me know though if you attempted to unlink and remote wipe a computer device and faced the same issue.

If you could provide screenshots in this case that would be very helpful so that we can further look into it!

Thanks again for your notes - I have forwarded them to the team for reference. 

If I can help with anything else do let me know!

Re: I'd like to be able to password protect the Dropbox app in case my device is stolen.

Explorer | Level 4
You can switch off automatic sign in and sync go to settings
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

here is a screeshot when I click to unlink a device.  I can't see any option to remote wipe

Dropbox.jpg

Re: I'd like to be able to password protect the Dropbox app in case my device is stolen.

Helpful | Level 6

Can you tell me where in Preferences I can switch off automatic sign-in?

Helpful | Level 6

Sorry, I just realised that I was trying to unlink an Android device.  If I choos a Windows device I do indeed get the option to remote wipe

Dropboxer

Hi @RouseA, thanks for keeping me posted - I'm glad to read you were able to see the preferred option. 

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Have a great week ahead!

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'd like to be able to password protect the Dropbox app in case my device is stolen.
8 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey