cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: System Restore Win 8.1

I get an error message that Windows System Restore failed?

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi

When I run Windows System Restore it fails with this error message

System Restore failed to replace the file (D:\Users\*******\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\qebcobkqbgbzfynfuwbof\placeholder.bat) with its original copy from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during restore. (0x80070780)

I have completed system recovery from an image without problem but on several occasions I have come up against this error when trying to correct a problem using system restore which would be easier to use if I could. I still have the problem if I run the system restore in safe mode with the same failour message

Any suggestions on allowing the restore to work

Richard

142 Replies 142

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry about this @MartyBook - that was an oversight from my end to be honest, as I'm not in the position to advise on a 3rd party service (the FilesNotToBackup registry to be exact) and/or provide a step by step guide on how to remedy this. 

As you know, the team are aware and working on this. I'll make sure to update this thread once I have a more concrete solution for this - thank you all for your patience. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

2_times_format
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello !! Sorry for my broken English . . . 

Same proble here, as a result we had made 2 times format our laptop, we lost days of work searching what cause the problem. Now we cannot trust to download and to work again with DropBox. It is very hard to understand that at 2019, a pioneer to the sector DropBox, cannot solve a problem which DropBox itself cause to its clients with subscriptions.

And not only that, the problem is not to its software but damage the Operating System.

Microsoft give a restore point option in order to feel safe in any hard situation and Dropbox not only canceling this option but have you to run, to search and to spend time, money and thoughts for NOTHING !!!!

DropBox in this situation, help you with a lot of SILENCE !!!!!

At least GIVE US A FIX BUT A REAL FIX (When our pc stuck at the point that windows restore point give us a message that cannot perform due to DropBox cache file xxxxxxxx.bat

I dont know what more i can say !!!!!       

just-a-user
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Has any one made progress on this issue?  I discovered that I had a problem 7 days ago - but it took me 5 days to find this discussion and understand what is wrong (mostly understand).  I did start to tinker with the registry modification but I don't know enough and haven't seen any change from the one attempt to modify the registry (syntax probably wrong)

At this point, whenever Windows updates and trys to make a restoration point, my files go to the earlier version of the last good restoration point.  Then I wait until Dropbox downloads the latest version of my files.  The first time 7 days ago I had to wait 2-1/2 days to get the correct files in place (660,000 files had to index).  I have since removed a big cashe of files from my DropBox so these re-sets don't take so long.

I can command Windows to make a restoration point but I can't restore to that new point.  Dropbox has really gummed up the works here!!!

So I'm really suprised that Dropbox has gone 11 months with no resolution on this issue.  I'm sure it is affecting WAY more customers than know about it.  Dropbox is actually lucky that Windows is pretty stable these days.

You guys that have left DropBox, what did you go to? (I'm sure they are no longer listening in).

Thanks all

lp9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Walter wrote:

Hey there folks, thank you for this feedback!

I will make sure your comments are passed along to our dev team for future consideration.

If there's anything else I can do in the meantime, do let me know please.

@Walter wrote:

I will make sure your comments are passed along to our dev team for future consideration.

@Walter wrote:

Hi Walter, 

This is Asad from an Insurance company in Dubai UAE, facing the same problem but on a different stage. 2 of my HP Elitebook 840 G4 laptops failed to load windows after a normal restart. Upon trying the restore point it failed with the same dropbox error message. As i was on a different stage i.e. system recovery options... tried uninstalling DB through cmd and it said it was successful but unfortunately upon restoring the PC to a previous respote point it failed once again with the same error message (although dropbox was uninstalled through cmd) . I am afaraid this will repeat on other machines as well and will waste alot of my time. 

Please pass on my feedback too to your DEV team

Asad

Dubai UAE

Finlander
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I ran into this issue today as I was trying to go back to a previous state after mangling registry on a highly configured system (TWO weeks of configuration work!!). And then I find out that Dropbox blocks the restore, and not by being unable to overwrite the cache file but it actually corrupts the restore points!! Uninstalling Dropbox and making sure the offending path is deleted does not help!!

@Walter, your solution in July, almost a year after this issue was first raised, to add an exclusion is too little too late! Generally one doesn't know Dropbox has broken the restore points until after they're already needed. This kind of a bug should've been caught in testing in the first place, or at latest this should've received a very high priority as soon as it was raised (as it's possible Microsoft changes caused this).

I just paid for a year of Dropbox Premium... :slight_frown: 

When will there be a solid fix for this? Please post the date here. I will blog and tweet about this to do my part in making sure the issue is as widely known as possible so that people can guard themselves against a similar occurrence by adding an exclusion that is wholly too complicated for non-techincal users of Dropbox to implement.

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi

Well a year on from my original post and this is still a problem. I still get the same error message when running system restore - even after having amended the filesnottobackup registry as advised.

Now running Windows 10 but still getting the same problems

I live in hope dropbox will sort this  but in the meantime continue to make monthly system image backups

Walter - whats the dynamic Dropbox team doing about this?

Richard

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all and thank you for contributing in this thread with your elaborate feedback and use-cases - it's most appreciated. 

Despite the fact I don't have any news to share at the moment, I can assure you that your comments have all been passed on to the relevant team - thank you so much for your valuable input on this one.

As mentioned, even though we can't offer support or guidance on this, the best way to move forward with the task at hand would be excluding the .dropbox.cache from your system restore points.

This can be done following the steps outlined  here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310516/how-to-add-modify-or-delete-registry-subkeys-and-val...

I wish I had a better reply than this. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Sejjr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the exact same issue yesterday. I have used a Mac for years and recently moved to a Windows 10 environment. I thought using Dropbox as I had successfully for years on the Mac would help in moving my files to the new system. I spent at least 4 hours yesterday when my PC got stuck in a boot loop, trying to solve and restore to an earlier point and received the exact same error with the cache file. I now see this is an issue that a Dropbox just can't resolve, or won't resolve. So that means I am done with Dropbox. And the worst part is, after a year of this issue being discussed here, I see there is still no real solution. I'm screwed. I have to do a clean install. Another day of productivity down the drain. I will be alerting every person I work with in media (and there are many) that they should find another cloud storage solution, be it Google, Apple, Microsoft, or whatever. Because Dropbox can't get a known serious issue resolved in well over  a year. It's embarrassing, frankly. 

just-a-user
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I gave up on Dropbox a week ago and am now using Tresorit.  Will be closing my Dropbox account once my testing of the new system is done.

Finlander
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My solution, for now (because even excluding .dropbox.cache from the image doesn't seem to guarantee that Dropbox still doesn't somehow corrupt the restore points), was to acquire a second SSD for my laptop and move the dropbox folder there. Annoying that this was the only solution, but Dropbox is used too much as a part of the workflow (so I can't replace it yet), and I must have the restore points available. :slight_frown:

Need more support?