Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

I have a question about Windows 7 after 2020.Any ideas?

Helpful | Level 7

Microsoft 7 drops mainstream support for Windows 7 in January, 2020.  What does that mean for Dropbox, if anything?  I know you've been pretty ruthless about dropping support for OS's in the past, so I thought it worth asking.

Note that the install base for Windows 7 is roughly on par with Windows 10. Also, probably directly because of that, MS has widely expanded (my guess, made cheaper) opporunities to extend Windows 7 support past the 2020 deadline, so if you're expecting the install base to drop precipitously next year, that's unlikely. This is not even counting the people who don't care that they'd no longer be getting updates.

2 Replies

Re: Windows 7 and 2020

Super User II

We wont officially know until its announced, I'm afraid, but, my guess is that once Microsoft drops support Dropbox will at some point after. 

For example. Mac OS 10.9 is no longer being supported in April by Dropbox, but it actually stopped getting support from Apple in July 2016. While 10.10 was ended in August 2017 and is still supported here...

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: I have a question about Windows 7 after 2020.Any ideas?

Helpful | Level 7

For the record, someone wrote that Subject for me. I didn't.

"I have a question about Windows 7 after 2020. Any ideas?" is innaccurate, since I wasn't asking that. "After 2020" will be about a year after Win7 goes out of support.

Thanks, A.I.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I have a question about Windows 7 after 2020.Any ideas?
2 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post