Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I have a question about the space used on my computer. Any ideas?

Level 1

When I put files into DB with my desktop computer, Dropbox seems to be eating up my memory on my laptop? Not sure why

5 Replies

Re: memory

Super User II

Because Dropbox is a real folder on your machine like any other.

Dropbox is a syncing tool. It is designed to sync data across devices. It is not a cloud storage solution that doesnt have things locally

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

How can I speed up my PC boot sequence when dropbox takes so much memory whilst syncing its folder at start up?

Super User II

Disable Dropbox starting up automatically and start it yourself later. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

This was the information I was looking for, but it does not resolve my problem. DB is too large for my laptop. I see that on my iPad it does not take hardly any memory at all and I can save to it like a folder. Can you have the same interaction on my laptop as I do with my iPad? 

Super User II

If your laptop is a tablet (e.g. Windows 10/Chrome book) you can use the Metro/mobile version of Dropbox from the app store. 

If not you would need to use the website. 

You could always remove folders locally via Selective Sync 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I have a question about the space used on my computer. Any ideas?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post