Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

I have an issue with conflicted copies of my files. Any ideas?

New member | Level 2

A conflicted copy was created for 3 documents in my Dropbox.  I read online about when this typically happens but what I read covered the problem when two or more people access files.  In my case, I am the only one who accesses the documents.  Why would this happen and is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening in the future?  Thanks. 

7 Replies

Re: Conflicted Copy

Dropboxer

Hi Jenni, if you are the only person accessing the document, then most likely what's happening is that another computer/device connected to your account is still accessing those files and causing the conflicted copy.

To tell which device is causing the issue, on the Dropbox website, right click on one of the files and choose "previous versions".

You should then be able to tell which device "edited" the file and caused the conflicted copy.

New member | Level 2

Ezio,

Thank you!  However, I don't follow exactly what you mean.  Here is a real live situation.  First, I always access my personal Dropbox documents using the desktop shortcut on my home computer and on my work computer.  Last night at home I edited a specific document.  When I got to work this morning the edits were not there.  :-(

New member | Level 2

Ezio,

It happened again.  :-(  Please guide me on figuring out why this is happening and what I can do to make it stop.  The documents I access via Dropbox are extremely important so the contents must be current at all times.  Thank you!

Super User alumni
 Last night at home I edited a specific document.  When I got to work this morning the edits were not there.  :-(

Sounds like the app you were using at home may be holding the file open. This holding the file open would indeed create a conflicted copy. 

Before you leave for the office make sure to close and quit the app using the data file. Word, as an example has a track record of placing a hold on files. Simply shrinking the app to the dock etc will not release the hold. 

Additionally make sure and leave the computer on, for a period of time. This will allow Dropbox to finish uploading the files. It could be your closing down the machine before Dropbox has time to upload the changes to the servers.

New member | Level 2

Tom - thank you!  Is this less likely to happen if I access the documents from Dropbox website at home and work instead of the desktop app?

New member | Level 2

Update.  slightly smiling face  I will try the Dropbox.com route instead of accessing documents through the desktop icon.  This worked perfectly with Word documents via Microsoft Online and so far no conflicted copies created.  However, when I need to open an Excel document, I am only given the option to download or share instead of, like Word, opening through Microsoft Online.  Is there a way to open and edit Excel with Microsoft Online?  Thank you!

Super User alumni

Jenni,

For that answer, I will have to defer to someone else. I have Microsoft products installed locally and even then the most I ever open is a word file. :(

* Even that is rare like once a year. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I have an issue with conflicted copies of my files. Any ideas?
7 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post