cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting an MSVCP140.dll and I can't uninstall or run the desktop app

I'm getting an MSVCP140.dll and I can't uninstall or run the desktop app

Ture_Alsvik
Explorer | Level 3

I was considering switching to a business plan, but for weeks i have been stuck with an MSVCP140.dll error on opening Dropbox. Iøm unable to uninstall or to run the app.

I've searched around seeing others have the same problem. I installed the Microsoft Redstributable Packaging - but still no luck.

Dropbox keeps givning me an error saying it cant find the file MSVCP140.dll in Program Files(x86) - but i can verify that the file is there ...

I'm switching to OneDrive within a week or two if this isnt fixed. I really need to be able to sync files between computers and phones ...

8 Replies 8

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Ture_Alsvik

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! Let's see what we can do here. 

As a first step, could you please let me know if you've tried the following:

1. Opening the Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar and selecting Start Task Manager
  2. Going to the Processes tab to see if there are any other processes associated with the desktop app that may be preventing it from being removed from your device (you may need to click Show processes from all users to check all processes).
  3. If you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any apps that may be linked to Dropbox, click on the line that references the process and choose End Process.
  4. Once you’ve done this, try to follow the uninstall instructions on this article

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ture_Alsvik
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil

I killed all processes before tryign to uninstall. Uninstall failed.

Reinstalling doesnt give me an error, it just simply ends with no "succes" -confirmation.

I've managed to install an old version (Dropbox 43.4.50 Offline Installer) but when i launch the app, it says "update or end". If i hit update i installs and then shows me the MSVCP140.dll error again ...

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for giving that a try, @Ture_Alsvik

Could you also attempt to run an advanced reinstall?

If you get stuck at any point in time during the process, could you please let me know which step and what behavior you experience?

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ture_Alsvik
Explorer | Level 3

Followed your steps - but had to delete all instances of DropBox in regedit, because some services was still running preventing me from deleting the files. Restarted, installed using the offline installer ...

Nothing happens. I never get information on Dropbox having finish the install and neither any errors. Restarted after about an hour, Dropbox gave me same error message about missing MSVCP140.dll ...

So ... i'll start looking for some other sync-service to use! But thanks for your help 🙂

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this, @Ture_Alsvik.

I'd be more than happy to send you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile if you'd like to look into this a bit more in depth. 

Let me know how you'd like to proceed and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Ture_Alsvik
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, please. 

It must be possible to fix this.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

I hear you, @Ture_Alsvik! I'll do my best to help. :innocent:

I've sent you a ticket, so when you have the chance, please check your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ture_Alsvik - how are you today?

I was just wondering if you managed to resolve your concern in the end and if so, what did the trick for you?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Ture_Alsvik Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?