cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I'm getting an error message "Could not start the Dropbox daemon" for a Fedora 31 inst

I'm getting an error message "Could not start the Dropbox daemon" for a Fedora 31 install.

Anghellos
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I tried to install dropbox on my fresh installation of Fedora 31. The error that i got is "Could not start the dropbox daemon" if i run the installation on terminal i got additional details like "libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" Ps. on my previous version of linux (Zorin os) the dropbox application was working perfectly (so my requirement of my laptop are ok)

Tank you very much

32 Replies 32

anaxamandor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed Dropbox onto Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but am receiving this error.  The computer does meet the minimum system requirements.  Can someone please assist me?

Screenshot from 2019-11-26 11-41-35.png

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @anaxamandor, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I’ve moved your post under this discussion, as other Community members have reported that they’ve been able to get going with the installation once they installed the libatomic package. 

Please give it a go when you have some spare time & keep us posted on the outcome here. 

Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

anaxamandor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I went to the downloads page for and downloaded the Linux Ubuntu 64 deb file.  It doesn't say anything on the Dropbox downloads page about needing to install anything else, and doesn't provide a link.  So why is this message coming up?  And what does the gibberish message about python3 mean?  Screenshot from 2019-11-26 15-54-00.png.  Can someone please explain this?

anaxamandor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

yes, it immediately worked when I installed that dependency.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

About the stupid and meaningless message, take a look here https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Need-to-quot-download-proprietary-daemon-quot-... 😉. Hope this helps.

sweetleaff
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

works me on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Thanks

athan13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Got the same issue on Kubuntu 18.04 (never seen this before). For debian based distros like Kubuntu/Ubuntu/etc, you can install build-essential pack that contains also required libatomic1:amd64 as mentioned ealier (and many other packages, like G++, GCC, dpkg-dev, make,etc) and is helpful for other things like compiling a Debian packages and so on.

Just run the following in terminal:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install build-essential

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @athan13,

If you aren't sure, don't post incorrectnessess, please. "build-essential" don't depends on "libatomic1"! About "gcc", "make" and others, they are mandatory parts of (almost) all Linux distributions. "dkms" kernel modules depends on them! About development packages, they aren't needed either to Dropbox or to user which don't plan to code something, but just wants to type some text or draw drawings, for example. :slight_smile:

Congratulations for your interest in coding, but this is off topic.

athan13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi @Здравко ,

I'm sure about what I have seen:

Screenshot_20191210_171935.png

And I also use "build-essential" package in cases I want to install other package that need a C/C++ compiler for example (as I mentioned before).

Usually it's the first thing I install in a fresh Ubuntu not only for coding purposes. And it's optional of course.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @athan13,

Sorry for the confusion, where seems I have involve you in! More full expression: I don't mean you aren't sure what you have seen, but what actually "build-essential" depends on. And Yes, You are NOT sure about direct dependencies (indirect could be any of course)! Just try:

dpkg-query -W -f='${Depends}\n' build-essential

What is the result? :thinking: :wink: Also other thing:

@athan13 wrote:
... And it's optional of course.

Why such thing (assume so important) could be optional? :thinking::wink: I fully agree "build-essential" package is very important (not for C/C++ coders only, but for all coders).

Wish you Happy coding!

Need more support?