Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Re: Couldn't start Dropbox

Helpful | Level 6
Thanks for replying so quickly.
I switched off the various shields on avast... I've taken a photo but sorry I don't know how to attach to this message. I'm using chrome on the phone to access this forum
On my laptop I tried via two browsers. Chrome and avast secure browser. Is there some way to attach photos ?

Dropboxer

Thanks for your quick reply too @SLJ1 - it's most appreciated. 

As I wanted to help get this resolved as soon as possible, I just reached out via email to your Dropbox associated email address.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Note that you'll be able to attach screenshots there with no problem (and without sharing any personal information here on our Community which is a public forum). 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6
Ok ! Done
Thank you

Helpful | Level 6
Thanks for all your help.
I think the problem lies with Avast somehow messing things up.

Helpful | Level 6

Just in case anyone else has the same problem ...... here's how it got sorted. It might work for you or it might be a fluke.

(This morning when I switched the laptop back on I had the same problem of non-response again but this time I managed to make a note of how to resolve it).

When I installed Windows 7 and Chrome browser and AVAST browser fresh onto the laptop I also imported my Chrome bookmarks across. The bookmark for dropbox linked to a sign in screen which refused to respond in both browsers. I went into Google search (from within Chrome browser), I searched for dropbox and I clicked on the sign-in link under the results of the search. That got me in to dropbox. The URL of the bookmark was www.dropbox.com and it had worked very well on Chrome browser with windows XP until about 10 days ago.

But now it doesn't respond. The URL that DOES work is www.dropbox.com/h

Or try www.dropbox.com/en_GB/login

(I am trying not to think about the fact that www.dropbox.com/h might work under Windows XP because otherwise I might get upset at the number of days I have just spent changing over to Windows 7. LOL)

I am no longer trying to use AVAST Secure Browser to access dropbox because they don't seem to get on with each other.

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks to @Walter  for the support! 

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have a similar problem since upgrading from Windows 10 1803 to 1903.  It looks as though the upgrade has created a new user (Alan.000).  I read the suggestion to use the following at the command prompt (I changed D:\dropbox to C:\dropbox) but that didn't work.

icacls "D:\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

My log is attached

Helpful | Level 6

Hi. This is annoying isn't it? 

Just in case it works, have you tried using google or some other search engine to find dropbox and then try to sign in from there. ie instead of relying on a bookmark?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@SLJ1 wrote:
Thanks for all your help.
I think the problem lies with Avast somehow messing things up.

Yes, surely the problems lie at avast. After a lot of headwork of here and there, I myself finally figured it the Avast messing guy. Solved it, finally!

Regards

New member | Level 2

@SLJ1 wrote:

Just in case anyone else has the same problem ...... here's how it got sorted. It might work for you or it might be a fluke.

(This morning when I switched the laptop back on I had the same problem of non-response again but this time I managed to make a note of how to resolve it).

When I installed Windows 7 and Chrome browser and AVAST browser fresh onto the laptop I also imported my Chrome bookmarks across. The bookmark for dropbox linked to a sign in screen which refused to respond in both browsers. I went into Google search (from within Chrome browser), I searched for dropbox and I clicked on the sign-in link under the results of the search. That got me in to dropbox. The URL of the bookmark was www.dropbox.com and it had worked very well on Chrome browser with windows XP until about 10 days ago.

But now it doesn't respond. The URL that DOES work is www.dropbox.com/h

Or try www.dropbox.com/en_GB/login

(I am trying not to think about the fact that www.dropbox.com/h might work under Windows XP because otherwise I might get upset at the number of days I have just spent changing over to Windows 7. LOL)

I am no longer trying to use AVAST Secure Browser to access dropbox because they don't seem to get on with each other.

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks to @Walter  for the support! 

Can you please tell us this   details

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm getting an error "Couldn't start Dropbox"
18 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution