Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

I'm seeing an error message "Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurFaceFormat" upon login.

Explorer | Level 4

I recently upgraded my Windows 10 Build to 1809 after which dropbox started to crash with error "Failed to create  OpenGL context for format QSurFaceFormat". I uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled it several times but always get a blank screen. When I uninstalled the graphics driver, I was able to see the login screen. When I reisntalled a fresh driver, I have the same issue again.

Tags (1)
90 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Cannot sign in to Dropbox 79.4.143 on Windows 10 1809

Dropboxer
Hey @amigan, for starters I'd recommend updating the Drivers for your graphics card. You should be able to get the latest versions here, however for some products you will need to go to the vendor's actual website. I would also recommend updating the DisplayLink drivers. We recommend that you install the latest version of the DisplayLink drivers from here in order to continue troubleshooting this issue. 

Make sure to choose the correct version depending on the version of your Windows operating system, then go ahead and restart your computer. At this point you should be able to run the latest version of the Dropbox desktop application.

Please have a look my suggestions at your earliest convenience & let me know how you get on with these steps or if you’ve already tried any of the above in your next reply here. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Jane,

I reinstalled the latest graphics driver from Lenovo website and installed the DisplayLink driver but I am still getting a blank screen. If I randomly click on the sing in box, various screens open up which means content is loading but not getting displayed

DropBox-Blank Screen.PNG

Dropboxer
Thanks for pinging me back here @amigan & for the screenshot- this has been very helpful; I’ve just sent you a brief message, just so as to have a closer look at your account-specifics through our Official Support channel. Please have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience & we’ll take it from there! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

"Failed to create Opengl context"...

Helpful | Level 5

Win10 laptop, up to date as of 8/19/19 Version 1903.

On bootup, Dropbox popped up a window that said:

Failed to create Opengl context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0 etc etc.

Clicked OK to clear the notification box, then Dropbox "unexpectedly quit".

Restart Dropbox. Seems to be syncing.

Google found nothing. Reboot same again. Dropbox reinstall made no difference. 

After several reboots and today's windows update, the error message stopped.

However, when I click on the taskbar icon, no status window opens. I see no way to access Dropbox settings on this laptop.

Help?

Tags (1)

Re: "Failed to create Opengl context"...

Dropboxer

Hey there @Dan R.33,

Would you be able to send me a screenshot of this error message? Unfortunately this doesn't sound like a Dropbox error, so there's not much I can suggest here. I'd recommend doing a web search for the error message you see eg. "Failed to create Opengl context for format QSurfaceFormat" as you should be able to find some more helpful info there.

Otherwise, I might suggest contacting support for your specific device as they would have a better insight into this and be able to assist further. Sorry that I can't be of much more help here, but perhaps even some other users will be able to input further info if they've experienced the same error.

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

The error message is no longer showing up, so no, I can't. The error said it was coming from Dropbox, and hovering over the Dropbox taskbar icon showed "connecting" until the alert was closed. Now the taskbar icon is simply dead. 

I did quote and Google the first part of the error message, but nothing related to Dropbox came up.

Looks like it's related to several recent messages about QT.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/QtWebEngineProcess-exe/td-p/229154

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Cannot-sign-in-to-Dropbox-79-4-143-on-Windows-...

Helpful | Level 5

Windows dropped another update load on me, and now the taskbar icon opens. Nothing in Recents, and can't click to Notifications, but at least I can get to Preferences.

Oh, that's weird. After quitting Preferences and reopening the icon, I have Notifications, but can't click to Recents. Can't scroll the Notifications. Anyway, the OpenGL you're using to render your popup is buggered .

Dropboxer

Hey there @Dan R.33, thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Could you please try reinstalling the latest stable version of the desktop app (79.4.143)? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let us know how it goes!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

As I said in my original post, reinstall had no effect. I reinstalled 79.4.143 over itself after these latest updates per your advice. When I rebooted, the taskbar icon was nonresponsive. Rebooting again, I can get to Preferences, but the Recents/Notifications window is empty, and I can't toggle between them.

Your renderer is buggered.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm seeing an error message "Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurFaceFormat" upon login.
90 Replies
22 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey