Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

I need to link my phone to my account but it says I have to unlink some devices first. Can you help?

New member | Level 2

I recently had to reset my phone.  when i went to sign onto dropbox, it said there was a 3 device limit and said i had to unlink.  it listed 3 devices:  my work computer, laptop and phone.  however, it listed the phone twice.  I tried to unlink the extra phone but it got the message that I had to unlink 8 devices.  I dont have 8 devices, and if I did, why arent they listed.  Please help me log on my phone.

thank you.

3 Replies

Re: I need to link my phone to my account but it says I have to unlink some devices first. Can you h

Dropboxer

Hey there @bsp131  - sorry to hear that!

Can you confirm the number of your devices as shown in your account's Security tab on the following page?  https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

Note that if you're a Basic user and you linked more than three devices prior to March 2019, all of your previously linked devices remain linked.

However, if you'd like to link a new device - or re-link a previously linked device - you must unlink devices until you come below your limit. After this you can link your new devices, up to the limit of three.

You can see the list of your connected devices here directly too:

https://www.dropbox.com/devices

Additionally, you can sign-in to your Dropbox account and access your files on any device through our website at www.dropbox.com.

If you're within the device limit and still getting this message, I'd suggest logging a ticket with our team so we can assist further with the account specific inquiry you seem to be having. 

If there's anything else I can help from my end, please let me know! 

PS: More information can be found on the following Help Center article: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/account/computer-limit

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: I need to link my phone to my account but it says I have to unlink some devices first. Can you h

Helpful | Level 6

- or re-link a previously linked device - you must unlink devices until you come below your limit.

You mean Dropbox software is not intelligent enough to identify the device that was previous linked but is intelligent enough to be able to scan the users data?

Super User II

Previously linked isnt the issue @A M.13 .... the issue is that there is now a restriction that there wasnt.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I need to link my phone to my account but it says I have to unlink some devices first. Can you help?
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post