Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

I've disabled Auto-Startup in Preferences, however the application still launches upon startup. Why?

Explorer | Level 4

I do not want Dropbox to automatically startup upon login. I do not have the Preferences option for such ticked. I do not have it in my User Login Items. Yet every time I login it does indeed start up.

What can I do besides uninstalling it?

macOS 10.14.6

Dropbox v78.4.119

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: unwanted auto startup

Dropboxer
Hey @timlance, what you’re describing is odd, however your explanation makes me think that your preferred settings in the Preferences window wouldn’t stick. If you’ve monitored this behavior Tim, can you let me know whether you’ve experienced that across devices? 

Following, could you have a look on your menu bar for the Dropbox icon? If you hover your mouse on it, it should display the Dropbox syncing status & the Dropbox version you’re working on. Can you confirm that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your desktop (79.4.143) for me? 

Additionally, any visual aid you included on this message would be useful (omitting personal info), so as to better determine what's happening; please include any screenshots you may have on this discrepancy in your next message if possible. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting to clarify matters! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Advanced Collaborator | Level 16

Hi @timlance,

Did you try to remove the check mark from "Start Dropbox on system startup" check box? winking face

Explorer | Level 4

I was under the impression Dropbox was updating automatically. I will try 79.4.143 and let you know.

Explorer | Level 4

As I said in my OP ... I do not have the Preferences option for such ticked.

Explorer | Level 4

Latest version fixed it. Much thanks to you! And to Здравко for replying.

Dropboxer
Perfect @timlance, happy to hear this was fixed for you once you installed the latest version of our desktop app & thanks a lot for looping back to me on the progress!

We’re always just a post away in case you have further inquiries or thoughts in the future, so don't hesitate to reach back out here at any time. Happy Dropboxing & take care until we talk again! 🤓

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks again for your prompt help. Sad to say that I am quitting Dropbox. I've been with Dropbox since virtually the beginning. I quit because of the new 3 device limit. One might say that being a free user I can not complain. I say differntly as from the beginning I begged for smaller paid accounts, never needing even the 100 GB accounts back in the day. Off to sync.com I have gone. I will be keeping my account here open "just in case".

Best!

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I've disabled Auto-Startup in Preferences, however the application still launches upon startup. Why?
7 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution