Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re: Incorrect behaviour of the Dropbox's plugin for Nautilus

Star Collaborator | Level 17

Hi @Jay, I hope you havn't mind to ask you something.

I have tried to find some datasheets out on Dropbox site without success. I'm looking for datasheet or specification the protocol used for communication trough sockets ~/.dropbox/iface_socket and ~/.dropbox/command_socket (responsible for communucation between Dropbox daemon and "the outside world"). Can you point the corresponding place in the site? If such data are not documented yet, could you initiate such thing (as a feature request, for example)?

When something seems don't going to happens, solve the problem yourself... winking face

Thanks in advance.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there, I don’t know of any documents with the specifications you’re asking for.

I’ll forward this as a request to the team for something like this to be released in the future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Thanks, @Jay.

It's always better, something already available to be documented. In such a way will be more useful. winking face

Hi @Walter,

I hope You are fresh after vacation. smiling face with sunglasses  Relaxed and ready for challenges. winking face

My question is: How much time would be need to release "~/.dropbox/iface_socket" and "~/.dropbox/command_socket" documentation? thinking face

Dropboxer

Hey Zdravko - long time no see!

Apologies for the late reply - I was out of the office due to health issues; sadly not on vacation (I had an appendectomy) confounded face

Moving on to your concern now, as I'm not aware of this, let me ask around the team and I'll let you know once I have an update. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime and have a lovely day ahead. 

PS: I've also passed your comments to your existing ticket for visibility.

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Hi @Walter,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. 😟 Appendicitis is bad state, able to escalate very fast, if not catched in time. Present day the solution (appendectomy) is rather trivial surgery. winking face Hope everything have passed without complications and you recover successfully, if not already finished. slightly smiling face

I believe that the documentation, I ask for, already exist, but not released still. That's the documents used as description of APIs used in Dropbox control script and plugins (Nautilus and not only). Probably dedicated for internal use yet. I can't see any reason, that API description to be kept for internal use only (anyway this API is accessible outside Dropbox daemon). 🙄

About the ticket you have passed comments to: It's like to pass some comments to the wall. Yes, I'm not native english speaker, but this is NOT the main problem, definitely! Please, advise me how in english (as a teacher nerd face ) have to be explained that there are a bugs and these bugs can be easily reproduced. For the first one of them, it's enough to take a look on shared folder in Nautilus window, nothing more! If Harry don't run on Linux, then it's easy virtual install to be used (everything could be removed without trace after completion). Reasonable question here is: Why person, no Linux familiar, have to evaluate Linux related problem?! He can't see share emblem on his end, but takes me advices what's wrong in my end (completely inconsistent). I don't know... is this more stupidness or more laziness... thinking face Harry don't realize that this is a plugin bug yet. Even after evidences provided (including piece of code: nautilus-dropbox.c near line 400 ) - you can trace our "conversation". More than month later - we are still at very beginning. The speed is "amazing"! Everything is already commented in the ticket (the only opened), so further "comments" forwarding is meaningless. What you think (as an english teacher), what I'm explaining wrong in particular ticket? thinking facetired face

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for your kind words and patience so far Zdravko; apologies for the late reply too.

I won't be able to comment on this at the moment but I made sure to pass your comments on to your ticket which I can now see has reached a technician's inbox and you should be hearing from them soon.

I hope this gets resolved for you soon!

Walter

Hi @Walter,

Some other question, hope simple enough, so you can comment and related  to the topic, but placed little bit step aside. In "Super User" advertisement in "Program perks"->"Private forum area" is advertised access to exclusive forum area. What this actually mean? If I join, would be possible for me access to documents not released yet (I'm interested in sockets descriptions in fact)? thinking face

Thanks. winking face

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Incorrect behaviour of the Dropbox's plugin for Nautilus
17 Replies
1 Like