Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Incorrect behaviour of the Dropbox's plugin for Nautilus

Star Collaborator | Level 17

Hello Dropboxers,

I want to report wrong behaviour of plugin for Nautilus. There are 2 problems (no so big, but...). 1- Missing Dropbox's decoration for icons to all shared folders. 2- Sometimes decoration 'forget' to follow actual sync state on a file(s)/folder(s). An example is the following screenshot:

Screenshot_20190726_184204.png

The first subfolder in Dropbox folder is shared. On the folder icon never appear any status marks. Even though the icon looks like non Dropbox folder, the application daemon work fine. This have to be relatively easy to debug - this state don't change.

As could be seen everything is in sync - tray icon and Dropbox folder have green check mark. In such a situation, very often some files and/or folders "forget" that their sync process has ended, as could be seen to the last folder (on the screenshot). This could take some time to refresh (from few minutes - sometime near hour). All time the daemon seems to work fine, at least related to actual sync process. Only way to ensure everything represented is correct is restart nautilus process.

The above isn't something critical but unpleasant.

Hope, I didn't load too much the dev team. winking face

17 Replies

Re: Incorrect behaviour of the Dropbox's plugin for Nautilus

Dropboxer

Hey there @Здравко - thanks for the extensive report!

Just to make sure we're on the same page and troubleshooting the correct thing, could you let me know which exact version of the desktop app you're using on the affected machine? 

Also, I guess you've already tried rebooting and re-installing our software on the affected device - correct?

Let me know how this goes and we'll take it from there!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Hi @Walter,

Sorry for my incompleteness. The version is up to date stable release. (daemon - v77.4.131, plugin package - 2019.02.14, 64bit)

Yes for everything else. Even more - this is not something new, so this is no something related to specific recent version! I just decided to start now this bug resolving.

Hope this clarify the things.

Dropboxer

No worries @Здравко - just thanks for the additional information - it's most appreciated!

As I wanted to bring this under the attention of our specialized team, I just went ahead and reached out to your Dropbox associated email address (thus opening up a ticket for you) so we can have a further look into this.

At your earliest convenience, take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there!

PS: Is your name pronounced Zdravko indeed (correct me if I'm pronouncing it wrong)?

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Hi @Walter,

Probably there is something misleading and not really clear in our conversation here and through the email. Probably I forgot to say that I reinstalled the components in direct words, but only "Yes for everything else" seems not clear enough. Am I right? I'm really confused for another thing! Am I using headless version or not? What You would say? Another thing seems also not clear enough. If I have to install something, what variant is most appropriate - 32 or 64bits? I'm totally confused already! Can You remind me, was we discuss additional details about what can be the problem and so on (including annotation that my script fill the 'gap' of missing installation for headless)? I'm losing my mind and seems somebody have to lead me step by step what I have to do. face screaming in fear Probably I can get screenshot (posted above) in headless install. nerd face Wow.

Ok, little bit more serious. Actual question is: Are You using bots for ticket communication?

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear you feel this way and thanks for letting me know Zdravko - I made sure to pass your comments on to the expert handling your case so we have all the relevant information under the same place.

At this point, I'll have to re-direct you to your ticket as this would be the best way to keep troubleshooting this.

If there's anything else I can do to help from my end, do let me know please!

Walter

Hi @Walter,

One (how to say..) procedural question. I have added additional information to the ticket about an other bug (take a look on the ticket). An bug related to the Dropbox daemon, not to Nautilus' plugin. I'm not sure - is such bug mixing acceptable in single ticket or I have to open a new thread/ticket?

Please only say - is this Ok or not. No need this to be redirected.

Also something else: What's going on about user confusion about variable's name change (the 'web' bug)? Did You find out something?

Thanks.

Dropboxer

Good Evening Zdravko - how are you today?

As per your initial concern, note that it would be better if we had those reports separately so I'd suggest opening up a new ticket about this and provide all the information surrounding your case there. 

When it comes to the error within your script on the other thread (my colleague Lusil had already brought it up to the team), note that we're still looking into it; I'll let you know once I have more information to share.

Thanks for your patience and continuous cooperation Zdravko!

More information
Thanks for your tips on the Bulgarian language in our previous communication, I appreciate it a lot and tbh I might be able to take it up as a new hobby (always fond of languages) come October (after my...late Summer vacations) smiling face with sunglasses

Walter

Hi @Walter,

I'm really not sure what's going on. Am I talk to PR staff person trough the ticket, person like You - customer support, or qualified person who can understand technical aspect and investigate, not just trying to fix user faults. Harry, seems can't understand very well what's going word on about. He can't check and see what is the debian package content. Instead investigation on the problem, he ask me to relink my Dropbox app as a possible solution - realy strange for qualified person!

What I mean, in more words: Let's assume, you have a shared folder with some partner and you have to share with your partner 5 pictures: pig, apple, rabbit, carrot and eagle (for example). You put in the share folder 3 pics: pig, rabbit and eagle (for example), but forget the rest (for some reason). The partner call, to complain that there are missing pictures. You advise him to relink his Dropbox application which, according to You, can help. @Walter, is possible such solution, while shared folder content isn't changed in any way? Of course, rhetorical question! tired face

This imaginary situation is not the same like situation in the current thread/ticket, but very similar. If you replace pictures with folder emblems and shared folder with the package in discussion, the similarity will increase significantly. winking face

What I have to do, so qualified person from development team to join and will no more be need such compares like above? slightly frowning face Between: debian packages are archives in fact, just with some special internal structure, so could be opened using most more powerful archiver programs. There are 2 main internal parts - subachives in fact. Control part - representing different metadata, like: version, dependencies, description and so on and install/uninstall/reinstall controlling scripts. Data part - represent a directory tree which exactly match the system root tree and represent files that have to be copied in the host file system. So, using everyday computer tools, even not highly educated person could check what I'm talking about (at least).

Something else: As You advised me, I split the ticket content to two parts: plugin related and daemon related (Ticket #9583201). The daemon related ticket, after 1 week, seems not assigned still. Could be do something?

Thanks.

Hello everyone (especially Dropboxers),

Can someone help me? Seems Walter is on vacation, but hope other colleagues can join. winking face

I have bad experience with 'ticket' support. The person, involving in support, seems didn't read anything I have post there (Ticket #9534992). The conversation looks like some theater - mono spectacle (almost). I can say something but doesn't matter - everything opposite side talks look like prerecorded scenario. Harry doesn't care about actual state and 'shoot's in arbitrary direction. While there are evidences for particular bug, he gives advices for my configuration, scenarios definitely impossible in theory (what about praktice). No advices are needed, but real steps for debugging! 4 weeks later and understanding that bug fix is needed missing still (just understanding, what about the rest steps). How much time would be needed? thinking face

I'm not sure still that the correspondent is a real person. From another side, present day bots are able to fetch the meaning from a text..., how to know...

My actual question is: How could be involved in this problem resolution a qualified person, able to understand the problem nature and take appropriate steps? What I have to do (is there something)?

Thanks in advance!

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Incorrect behaviour of the Dropbox's plugin for Nautilus
17 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post