cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Interface between iCloud and Dropbox

Interface between iCloud and Dropbox

aknyc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Any idea what this "shall dropbox app use icloud" setting accomplishes on ios?IMG_9521.PNGIMG_9520.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

aknyc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks!  So the pictures that i see on the local phone on the dropbox app in the Cameras Upload folder are saved locally in optimized fashion when this option is enabled?  and otherwise, presumably they are downloaded from the dropbox server on demand, like any other dropbox file?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @aknyc  - how are you today?

I'm not sure I understand your query, could you please elaborate for me please? 

If you have iCloud Photo Library enabled (this is an Apple setting that stores your photos and videos in iCloud), and have its "Optimize iPhone Storage" setting enabled, this will save your full-resolution files in iCloud and store "optimized" versions on your phone while your iPhone must be on WiFi for Camera Uploads to function, even if you've set Camera Uploads to upload over your cellular data connection. If you want your pictures to automatically upload over data using Camera Uploads, you can toggle off the optimize setting in your iCloud Photos settings.

Additionally, note that since the full-resolution images are stored in iCloud, the camera uploads feature needs to connect to the iCloud servers to upload each full-resolution image to Dropbox. This can be a slow process that depends on the strength of the connection to the iCloud servers.

I hope this information helps and let me know if I'm misuderstanding anything. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

aknyc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response Walter, and apologies for the unclear query!

Here is the question rephrased:  First, I do not use iCloud Photos.  I am just curious what it means when I set the toggle switch under “APPS USING ICLOUD” for the ios Dropbox app to ON, i.e. green?  In what way does the Dropbox app “use” icloud?

Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the swift response too @aknyc - much appreciated!

Let me re-iterate my last message and clarify that if you have this option enabled, the files you upload through our camera uploads feature will be saved in full-resolution files in iCloud also storing 'optimized' versions on your phone itself. 

As full-resolution images are stored in iCloud, the camera uploads feature needs to connect to the iCloud servers to upload each full-resolution image to Dropbox. 

This can prove to be a slow process as it's depending on how strong the connection to the iCloud servers is. 

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

aknyc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks!  So the pictures that i see on the local phone on the dropbox app in the Cameras Upload folder are saved locally in optimized fashion when this option is enabled?  and otherwise, presumably they are downloaded from the dropbox server on demand, like any other dropbox file?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, correct @aknyc.

Just keep in mind that the mobile app is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile device.

Unlike the Dropbox computer application, the Dropbox app does not automatically store files locally on your device. This is because we want to be mindful of resource constraints mobile devices face such as device storage or bandwidth limitations. Given this, the contents of your Dropbox will not take up space on your mobile device. It also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection.

If you'd like offline access to a file, you can make it available offline by tapping the arrow to the right of the file and turning on the Available offline option. You can find any files you've made available offline by tapping on the menu button and selecting “Offline files”. These files are available offline and any changes you make while offline will sync back to Dropbox.

Don't hesitate to get back to me in case you have any more questions!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?