cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Our company is having the issue that on the mobile app (using the ipad or iphone) often times the file name is too long to properly view what we are opening. I want to be able to read the entire file name so I know what i am opening since many of the beginning and last parts of the file are exactly the same for filing purposes so I want to be able to view the file name without having to open each one in order to find out. I'm hoping I make sense. Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this? I can't "right click" on the file name cause I'm mobile otherwise I would try that 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elucubrator
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well, bugger me, Dropbox has finally fixed this with the latest update. I thought to re-check this today after the latest change, and straight away could see the filenames are displayed differently. The font is smaller, and the filename is truncated in the middle, so I can read the start of the file name, but also the end which is (with my file-naming convention), typically the differentiator. But the kicker is what happens with the display pane. It is now possible to close that — there’s a small “x” in the top left corner of the display/preview pane — and once that closes, the left pane with the file names expands to full screen view! And voila! I can now see the full long file names. Dropbox: THAT is the way to take advantage of the larger screen on an iPad, especially the 12.9” model. I’m still annoyed it took so long to remedy, but thank you for finally doing it.

View solution in original post

114 Replies 114

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this?

Nope, you're not missing anything. That's how it is and there's nothing that can be done about it. It has been a problem for some time now.

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

PLEASE, PLEASE sort this out! Every time a new update comes out I get disappointed because you don't address the issue over file names being truncated on the iPad version. It's really difficult to differentiate similar file names when they are truncated over on the left -hand side with all that unused preview space on the right. Can't we just have the ability to scrap the previews? I don't need them and I'd MUCH rather just choose the file I want from a list of the FULL names.

Its such a brilliant product apart from this. OneDrive and all the other just don't come close in terms of speed and usablity.

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there Ian!

Thanks very much for your message and your feedback. Our engineers are working hard on fixing this as soon as possible. I cannot tell you which release this will be out at, but I will make sure that your message is passed on again.

Thanks very much for your patience and thanks for using Dropbox!

Thomas C.43
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I can not see all my long name file. It is a reason not use Dropbox. I have to open each file to see its full name. Is there any solution??

Stephen R.31
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I can't see either and I need to print the screen and check off what documents I have or don't have based on the entire file name, but I can't print the entire file name from the screen and, like you, must click on each document to do so.  It's creating a lot of work for me.

Harry F K.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Finally there is solution for this annoying issue. there is a dropdown menu to the right hand side of the file name. click on it and you'll see the file's full name. You can even rename it or move it to another folder.

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to pass it along to the team. 

Thanks again for posting on our Community 🙂 

Elizabeth E.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Marie, any progress on this?  Your team needs to make the sidebar text smaller, or even better show a full screen which is what we see on our computers.  

This is a serious issue as far as diminishing the usability of Dropbox and should have a high priority for getting fixed!

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Completely agree Elizabeth E...this is a HUGE problem for our company. We have people in company spending hourse renaming files simply so they can be used in the field properly on the ipad.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kimmo J. New member | Level 1
    Mariedb Dropbox Staff
    Ian_A6 Collaborator | Level 9
    Debashish D. New member | Level 2
    Richard-Judith New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?