cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Our company is having the issue that on the mobile app (using the ipad or iphone) often times the file name is too long to properly view what we are opening. I want to be able to read the entire file name so I know what i am opening since many of the beginning and last parts of the file are exactly the same for filing purposes so I want to be able to view the file name without having to open each one in order to find out. I'm hoping I make sense. Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this? I can't "right click" on the file name cause I'm mobile otherwise I would try that 🙂

114 Replies 114

Kimmo J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It's absolutely ridiculous levels of incompetence that this issue has been plaguing the iPad users for literally years. It's a semi-catastrophic UI issue that still hasn't been addressed.

It makes finding the right file a monumental pain, because we do live in a world where 8.3 characters went out of fashion quite a long time ago.

Christopher B.47
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox: Mark R is one smart cookie. You should hire him as a consultant to fix this problem right away so I can stop looking like an idiot in front of my clients trying to scan hundreds of files for "160414 QW&D Thompson Exteriors Rev 5". Offer Mark double what you were just thinking you would have to pay him. 

Mark R: if Dropbox offers you a consult job, please send me a check for half the fee!

All dropbox clients: after Mark R fixes this, please send him and me a nickel every time you drag the sidebar boundary. 

Thanks everyone!

John H.150
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I actually thought Dropbox would have corrected this issue by now.   It kinda tells me there not interested in what their clients think.  How stupid is this for such an easy fix.  Tell me all I need to know.

I'll be looking to make a switch away from Dropbox soon.

Justin R.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Has this not been fixed yet?  As someone mentioned before, this works perfectly on the Android platform. We use Android phones, but iPads for document viewing. I am in the construction industry and many files and file folders look similar when you compress them down to 5 characters. 

It is pretty ridiculous that I am using my Android phone as the table of contents for Dropbox on my iPad. 

Justin R.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just in case anyone was wondering, here is the same file folder on my three devices. See the issue? The iPhone and Android both work as you would expect. You can see how this is frustrating when I got an iPad and expected the same user experience. 

alex g.33
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

What's the problem Justin? If you want to know the file names all you have to do is click on those 12 arrow buttons.  😉 

Elizabeth E.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Excellent, Justin!  Great illustration of what we are experiencing!

Mike P.56
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Sorry to say I think everyone is wasteing there breath as Dropbox obviously cares not about this issue and most likely isn't even reading these posts anymore since we haven't heard from the "team" in a really long time and this could have been easily fixed.

Sylvia K.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Justin R., you couldn't have put my thoughts across better!! Dropbox, please do look into this issue on the iPads as, like the previous users have all mentioned, the preview screen is really useless for some of us. Like the rest, I am also a paying Business account user. I'm sure you can do a simple check from our account names! 

Do hope that this issue would be resolved soon...

Richard-Judith
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

If you won't FIX the BIG PROBLEM of severely truncating long file names on the iPad, at least make it so we can run the iPOD/iPHONE version on the iPad. At least the iPhone/iPad versions display enough characters to make it useful.

Need more support?