Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Is Dropbox Basic gone?

Explorer | Level 4

I had Dropbox Basic running on a Mac (and several other Macs and iOS devices) for quite some time. Now it stopped syncing (taking days, will not use full bandwith of LAN). After some pause/restart tries I reinstalled DropBox. After installing I logged in as DropBox user, BUT DropBox it will give me only a 3 devices license and will not work as before. It does not show how to continue to be a DropBox Basic user. What the heck is going on?

3 Replies

Re: Is Dropbox Basic gone?

Dropboxer
Hi there @Jack16

Currently, Basic accounts have a three device limit, which means that you must unlink currently linked devices down to (less than) three, which includes desktop and mobile installations. You can find more info regarding this here

If you have any questions regarding unlinking your account from the desktop app or the mobile app, please check out this article

I hope this helped to some extent. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4
This made things clear. A warning by DropBox would have been appropriate. Even for Basic users. Nice trap though. I transfered most of my data to iCloud instead where I have 50 GB space with no device count limitations. Thanks again.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2

G’day Lusil

I agree with Jack16 that a warning would have been nice and like him I have moved most of the files over to OneDrive. I have retained Dropbox due to sync issues (2Do for example) but the restriction to a max of three (3) devices I find hard to swallow. Many of the “Family Sharing” apps restrict to 6 users and NO restriction on devices. Yes I realize that this is not what Dropbox is but it certainly would have been nice if the limit would have been set at 6 devices. In my case, and I don’t believe that I’m in the minority, my wife and I have 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, a laptop, and an iMac for a total of 6 devices. The 210$cdn per year upgrade option to get access a couple of extra devices and more options that we will never use is simply not an option.

I hope that when you say “Currently, Basic accounts…” leaves the door open to Dropbox increasing the device limit to a more reasonable (for me) number.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is Dropbox Basic gone?
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey