Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Issues with dropbox syncing, probably resolved by removing and reinstalling

Level 2

After working perfectly for years, my Dropbox suddenly stopped syncing on one pc last Friday. It was stuck syncing three quite small files. I thought it would resolve itself over the weekend, no such luck. After trying various things (many suggestions made by Dropbox itself were impossible as the desktop application itself was stuck), I finally disinstalled it, reinstalled it (it stuck syncing again) but after using the taskbar to shut it down (where I incidentally found 4 different versions) and restarting it yet again, it finally seems to be working. The whole process took about 2 days.

However now there is a red box with a white '1' in it beside it. From googling, this suggests I have unread notifications, but I have gone through these, and marked them all read, without affecting this red box. Meanwhile, on my other pc it doesn't show a red '1'.

Does this suggest I still have some ongoing issue with the dropbox on this particular PC and should expect further trouble? And have there been issues generally with Dropbox after the latest upgrade (got an email recently saying it had new features, and it was very shortly prior to all the trouble starting).

3 Replies

Re: Issues with dropbox syncing, probably resolved by removing and reinstalling

Dropboxer
Hey @eolas, I appreciate the time you took to compile this detailed report, as I now have a clearer picture of the matter at hand! 

Kindly note that you should be able to have a better understanding regarding that on the message Dropbox displays when you hover your mouse on the icon on your system tray/ menu bar. What do you see there? Please let me know in your next message if possible. As a quick fix, you could try quitting & relaunching the app, though I’m interested in seeing whether Dropbox can’t sync a specific file or it’s displaying an important notification. 

From there, it would be worth noting that you could see some more details regarding our new Plans here, however the transition shouldn’t have affected performance. Would you mind telling me a bit more info about what seems to be troubling you if you don’t mind? 

I hope my pointers are helpful & once you get back in touch with me, we can discuss matters in a bit more detail. Enjoy the rest of your day until then! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hi Jane,

When I hover the mouse over it, all it says is:

Dropbox 75.4.141

Up to date

But it has done some sort of upgrade, as the round button with the picture of the Dropbox which appears in the margin of a document when you open it, now has a menu box attached to it which it usen't.

I daren't try stopping and starting it again as I am working to a deadline and don't want to take any chances of it having another tizzy, but I will let you know if the red box with the '1' vanishes when I close down and restart my pc tomorrow morning.

I am still puzzled as to why this is only affecting one PC and not the other one I use - it's the same Dropbox after all.

Thanks.

Dropboxer

Thanks for circling back to me with all these additional details @eolas; I’m merely checking back on any progress made on your end. Have you managed to resolve  have this squared away when rebooting by any chance? Please let us know & we’ll do our best to follow-up with you. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Issues with dropbox syncing, probably resolved by removing and reinstalling
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post