Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Just take me to my file explorer

Helpful | Level 6

I am very used to (and happy with) the behaviour where a double click on the Dropbox tray icon simply opens file explorer in my Dropbox root folder.

Now, with 76.4.126, it instead opens up the new "app" - which I am not going to use.
How can I either

a) Change this behaviour back to what I'm used to, or
b) Rollback to a better version?

EDIT
On another note, this new version has changed other behaviour in an undesirable way - I used to be able to double click a file in the "recent files" view in the tray to open the file up in the file explorer, with the file selected. This is ALSO no longer the case. How do I revert this change?

EDIT 2:
Alright, I found out how to change it back to use file explorer instead. That's good.
Now, how do I do the same for recent files behaviour?

33 Replies

Re: Just take me to my file explorer

New member | Level 2

How did you figure it out?  I loved the old way better too!

Lisa

New member | Level 2

@JeffJ wrote:

Alright, I found out how to change it back to use file explorer instead. That's good.

Could you please share how you did this? After many years of double clicking the dropbox icon, it's so frustrating not going straight to file explorer anymore!

Helpful | Level 6

1: Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar

2: Click your profile picture or initials in the top right of the small window.

3: Click Preferences

4: From the General tab, for the option “Open folders in”, choose Finder

Dropboxer
Hey peeps, 

Just as @JeffJ said, if you don’t want to use the new file browser, you can change your Dropbox preferences to open Finder or File Explorer instead of the new file browser:
  1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menu bar.
  2. Go to your profile picture or initials in the upper right corner.
  3. Select Preferences….
  4. Click the drop-down next to Open folders in: and choose Finder or File Explorer.
@JeffJ, as per your query regarding the Recents tab, by double-clicking a file, the relevant third party app should open for you to preview and edit the file you selected. 

However, if you only want to see it in the relevant path in your Dropbox folder:
  • Click on the Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock. 
  • Locate the file in question in your Recents tab and hover over it. 
  • Click the ellipsis (…) button that you see on the right-hand side of the folder. 
  • At the bottom of the drop-down menu, select the option to Open in Finder. 
I hope this helps to some extent, but please let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

I've already discovered the solution of clicking the ellipsis (...) as instructed, but that is so much more inefficient and takes longer time and more clicks for me. How can I revert back to the old behaviour?

Helpful | Level 5

My choices are "Dropbox" and "Explorer" will "Explorer" work like "Finder" if I choose that?

Thank you!

Helpful | Level 5

It DID work. Thank you for explaining this!

Dropboxer
Thanks for writing back, @JeffJ

Like many programs and other apps, Dropbox may automatically update to the latest version. These updates are necessary to keep the desktop app functioning and ensure you’re running the most up-to-date version of the app, which often has performance and security enhancements. 

Nonetheless, I understand your train of thoughts, and I’m more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for review. 

Hey @mreinhar2001 , glad to hear that you’re all set to go! If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to give us a nudge. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Unfortunately, Dropbox is ignoring my preferences and continuing to launch the new desktop client when I click the taskbar icon instead of opening my Dropbox folder in File Explorer. I have tried changing my "Open folders in" preferences to Explorer several times, but Dropbox continues to open in the new app. It shows Explorer as my preferred setting, but that doesn't appear to actually affect Dropbox's behavior.

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise.

And by the way, enabling the new Smart Sync feature completely screwed up my selective sync, as Dropbox immediately began trying to download and locally save 72,000 files from the folders I had excluded from selective sync on my machine.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Just take me to my file explorer
33 Replies
33 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post