Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Mac Finder - documents change position between devices

Explorer | Level 3

I have Finder folder settings to sort documents by "none" therefore I can position documents as I wish. I used to be able to go to the same DB folder on a different device, open a fokder and my documents would be in the same position on screen.

Something changed a while ago and now the positions change when I go to another device. Ive been putting up with this for months and it is driving me mad. 

Having spoken to DB it "nothing to do with them!" must be the Mac they say.

Has anybody had the same issue to found a fix pls?

I dont want to sort by another method ie by name, date added etc as thats not how I work. 

Thanks in advance for any help

Tags (1)
6 Replies

Re: Mac Finder - documents change position between devices

Dropboxer

Thank you for posting about this experience you are having @Fort1

Both desktop Dropbox folders should be synced and showing you the same things. That's what Dropbox does after all. I really want to investigate this!

Are both your desktops syncing? Can you confirm they are linked to the same account at the time? 

Please give me the ticket number of the communication you had with us about this. 

Also please add screenshots showing what you see in one desktop and what you see on the other. 

I will make sure to edit the screenshots you provide us, to hide folders names if you have any privacy concerns. 

Thank you in advance for the additional information! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Fiona

The desktops are linked to the same account and the documents sync in so much that they appear in both DB folders on different devices, however the way they are sorted on the screen doesnt match (they used to but not any more). I have been using DB for several years and all worked fine until earlier this year when this issue arose and I've not been able to fix it. 

Ticket number 9835769. I sent screenshots to Shelby under this ticket and he said to look on Community!

Regards

Steve

Dropboxer

Thank you for the ticket number @Fort1. You are indeed in the right place. We will work on this problem together. 

I was unable to view the screenshots of your case unfortunately. Can you kindly add them to this Community thread? 

This way you will help me see what you see and other users can relate and add their experiences to this thread. 

Looking forward to screenshots to further assist. tools

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Here I the screenshots I previouslty sent to DB SupportScreenshot iMac settings.pngScreenshot macbook settings.png

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Fiona

Do you have any news on this please?

Another week has gone by and I'm no further forward

Regards

Steve

Dropboxer

Apologies for the late response @Fort1disappointed but relieved face I am actively investigating and trying to reproduce on my end. But am unable to up to now. 

The communication you had with us is closed, so I have just emailed you to look into device details. 

Please follow up with me via email. Can't thank you enough for your patience. 

Will do my best to help. tools

Fiona

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Mac Finder - documents change position between devices
6 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post