Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

(Mac) Is there a way to configure root dropbox folder name when linking up a company account?

New member | Level 1

It seems that when a company dropbox account is set up, a dropbox folder is always set up as "Dropbox (CompanyName)".

As a result of this, a lot of development scripts that I use are broken. Even when un-linking and linking back the computer to the company account, it states that "A folder named "Dropbox (CompanyName)" will be created inside the folder you select"

Is there any way that this can be configured to NOT create a company account in this format "Dropbox (CompanyName)" but rather something with no characters or brackets like "Dropbox_CompanyName"?

25 Replies

Re: (Mac) Is there a way to configure root dropbox folder name when linking up a company account?

Dropboxer

Hi Nazree,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this naming convention.

Dropbox for Business will allow you to access both your personal Dropbox and your work Dropbox from the same computer. To help signify which Dropbox folder is connected to which account, we've chosen to rename the business Dropbox to "Dropbox (business name)." Currently, there is not a way to change the name of this folder back to just "Dropbox".

By default, we place a hidden symlink from Dropbox to the new Dropbox (team name), so you may find that your applications can continue working by accessing this symlink.

However, if this does not work for you, and if you are comfortable creating symbolic links on your machine, there is a workaround that may help you. Please note that this workaround is not supported by our support team, so if you are unable to set up this environment, I'd recommend that instead of using this workaround, you move any files needed by your affected application out of your Dropbox folder instead.

If outside code sources don't cooperate with the space character or parenthesis character, the simplest workaround would be the following:

• pause Dropbox
  • remove the hidden symlink at Dropbox
  • Rename the "Dropbox (team name)" folder to Dropbox
  • Place a symlink at "Dropbox (team name)" that points to "Dropbox"
  • Resume syncing

This will allow Dropbox to continue accessing the content through the symlink, and it will allow any external code to use the "Dropbox" folder pathname that doesn't include the additional characters in the path.

I hope this is useful.

Re: (Mac) Is there a way to configure root dropbox folder name when linking up a company account?

New member | Level 1

including parenthesis or anything else which is likely to break the way things work is just stupid, if I had known before upgrading to the business plan I would never have done it.

Dropboxer

Hi Bryan,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I apologise for the inconvenience. I'd recommend that you try out the workaround described above. If you have any trouble with this, please feel free to let me know.

Best,

Sofia

New member | Level 1

@dropbox. This is prime example of how to annoy and alienate your user base and leave looking for alternative solutions.

Forcing this change on users (even if they don't have two Dropboxes that need distinguishing on their desktops) is really poor.  Then offering a 'workaround' that isn't supported by your support team just isn't a solution.

It seems that a better solution would be to allow users to name their desktop Dropbox folders how they wish and let the boffins at Dropbox create the symbolic links or whatever to make it work.

This change breaks the embedded paths to linked files in lots of applications requiring considerable work to relink them.

Dropboxer

Thanks very much for your feedback!

New member | Level 1

Renaming "Dropbox" to "Dropbox (Company Name)" breaks node.js applications, for example (fs.watch takes 100% CPU with strange folder names). Unfortunately the workaround you proposed breaks the Finder integration on Mac OS X. So please provide an interface to renaming the root folder, this would help alleviate many problems with Dropbox.

New member | Level 1

The naming convention of "Dropbox (Company Name)" is particularly painful in terminal, the spaces and ( ) need to be escaped:

Dropbox\ \(Company\ Name\)  

At least providing the option to rename it would be nice.

New member | Level 1

Has there been any progress on this Dropbox? Currently i can't run a bunch of processes that require paths with no spaces because of your naming convention. Is there a way to change the root folder name to Dropbox_(business _name) for instance????

New member | Level 1

I have an issue similar where I have a whole shared drive that needs to stay where it is on the file system ie: d:\data\ but when I install dropbox and try to share the folder inside dropbox it has to be below the d:\dropbox\ folder, even if I set the d:\data\ as the root for dropbox it always appends dropbox so becomes d:\data\dropbox.

This makes it useless for an existing shared file system.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

(Mac) Is there a way to configure root dropbox folder name when linking up a company account?
25 Replies
82 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post