Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re: Mac OS 10.9 end of support

Collaborator | Level 10

Well Rich, since you are clearly clueless, perhaps another Dropbox employee will come along and answer my last question (several days ago, see above).

Dropboxer
Hey there @Chris R., we usually recommend fostering a healthy conversation and debate without ever attacking people personally according to our Communuty Guidelines (which you can review at your convenience).  

Moving forward, to answer your last question: 

When Dropbox sign me out of the app in my host (10.9) OS next April, will the local Dropbox folder with all my data in, be left untouched and intact?

Your files will remain on your Mac intact, as your Dropbox folder will be converted to a regular folder. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Collaborator | Level 10

ThaNk you Jane. I only got irritated with Rich because he answered my earlier questions promptly and then disappeared without delegating his duty to another employee. Anyway, all's well...

From what you say, I assume that once I'm signed out of Dropbox in 10.9 and have transferred the DB folder to Sierra, I can empty the local Dropbox folder in 10.9 except for the inner folder structure - then I can drop files in there daily so I can add them to the proper DB folder in Sierra once a day. Then I can empty the 10.9 DB folder again so I can repeat the next day, and so on?

Dropboxer
Please bear in mind that Rich isn’t a Dropbox employee @Chris R. . He is a user- like yourself- though he’s been a Super User since the early days of the Forum & he’s acquired in-depth knowledge over the years, so he can suggest some out-of-the-box workarounds that could help his fellow Community members. 

Now, locating your Dropbox folder on a Virtual Machine isn’t currently a supported setup & we cannot indicate whether this would work fully as expected as this is third party software and may have unexpected configurations. We do have some general recommendations that may help. (Note: Jay’s tips on the article I’ve linked previously may be of assistance if you decide to use the Virtual Machine.)

For Dropbox to work correctly, it needs to be installed in an Operating System (OS) that is not part of a Shared Session. If installing into a virtual environment, it would need to be installed into a user account that is part of this virtual desktop or virtual machine and only accessed by that user account. The Dropbox folder should also be located on the same mounted drive that is running the virtual machine or virtual desktop. From there, it may be worth noting that there are space limitations on this type of configuration that you should tackle. Assuming that you have your files available at your Maverick’s, you could move them to the proper folder at your own pace. 

Please be aware that if you install Dropbox on a virtual machine or virtual desktop that are non-persistent, such that they are reset on a schedule or after logging off, Dropbox may be logged out and need to resync everytime this occurs.

Hopefully this answers your question & I'm wishing you a great rest of your Friday & a relaxed weekend ahead Chris! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Collaborator | Level 10

Thank you for the reply Jane.

To add more detail in relation to what you've said:

1. Dropbox has been downloaded separately in Sierra in the virtual machine (which, though virtual, is ACTUALLY Sierra and behaves exactly as it should), and runs my account almost as if on a separate device.

2. The Dropbox folder from Mavericks has been copied (not shared) to Sierra, and will be the only folder DB can 'see' from next April.

3. Although I don't run the virtual Sierra very often, it is left in a state of suspense - one of the features of Parallels - so I am still logged in when I next run it, with any windows open or apps running. At that point, Dropbox would see no changes to sync, until I add any new or changed files into Sierra's DB folder. This is something I plan to do daily from next April (in Mavericks there will be a dummy DB folder, empty except for the internal folder structure - anything that gets put in there will be copied to the actual Sierra folder from April.)

This should work ok?

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me here @Chris R. with all this additional info! To re-phrase my previous post, running Dropbox in VM isn’t currently a supported configuration & my previous reply aims to be of assistance with some general guidelines. That said, (& while I’m not specialized on this type of setup), I’d say that it should work though I’m merely judging by your description here. 

If you’d like to check on any stability issues that may arise, I’d recommend testing the environment before the full transition, while monitoring your overall resource usage & utilize Selective sync along the way, just so as to reduce the overall load of the client. From there, as long as your virtual desktop isn’t set to automatically tidy things up” once you close it, the Dropbox folder (& settings) should remain there each time you log in. 

I hope that this sheds a bit more light on your inquiry! 

Jane

Highlighted

Mac OS 10.9 end of support

New member | Level 2

Hello

Concerning this 10.9 end of support, I am planning to update my Mac OS though I would prefer not to. Any advice as to what Mac OS would best suit my needs, especially as I have read there are problems between Mojave and Dropbox ?

I work on a Mac Mini late-2012 with OS 10.9.5, so I have a range of choices from OS 10.10 to 10.14 My needs are quite basic : Word, Internet mainly... but it's important for me to be able to work on my .doc documents through Dropbox desktop app. I feel there is no need to switch to Mojave, cos I only want a clean and stable (and possibly not too slow, though it already is) computer.

Thanks for any advice

Dropboxer

Hey there @Ben1307 - how are you today?

As you know, starting on 9th of April  2019, the Dropbox desktop application will no longer work on any device running Mac OS X 10.9 or older.

Please note that your data in Dropbox is safe, but you will not be able to access it through the Dropbox desktop application unless you update to a supported operating system.

If your computer is running an unsupported operating system you can find instructions on how to update your operating system on the manufacturer’s websites: 

You can find the list of operating systems that Dropbox supports in the following Help Center article: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements

As per what version you're going to be using after you update your OS, I'm afraid I won't be able to help as this is up to you essentially and would be dependent on your personal needs. 

In regards to Mojave and Dropbox now, could you tell me which problems exactly are you referring to so I can send you the most appropriate information in my next response? 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Thanks Walter for your answer. I will continue to search info on which Mac OS X would suit my needs best, not only for Dropbox. If anyone here has some tips, welcome !

Concerning the problems with Mojave, nothing in particular, but I have come across some posts on this forum, mentioning difficulties (crashing, slowness...)

I think I might go the safe way and opt for an earlier OS.

Thank you

Collaborator | Level 10

I found the best solution in the end - pCloud! I have simply sync'd my entire local Dropbox folder to pCloud, and will carry on using it even after DB murder their app on my computer. 

The advantages of this are twinfold:

1. there will be no interruption to my current sync 

2. pCloud have given me at least twice the free space that DB did.

One further question - will my shared files still have valid public links after the April murder? I.e., files I've already shared and which sit within various forums.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Mac OS 10.9 end of support
67 Replies
78 Likes