cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Mac: "dropbox would like to control this computer using accessibility features"

Explorer | Level 3

The above message poped up out of the blue.

1. Why does dropbox want to control my computer (out of the blue)?
  2. Should I let it?
  3. What hapens if I dont?
  4. What does accessability (e.g. reading for hearing impared) have to do with dropbox?
  5. Where is there no official clarification of this issue from dropbox (that I can find)?

This certainly sounds like malware.

6 Replies

Re: Mac: "drobox would like to control this computer using accessibility features"

Explorer | Level 3

To clarify, I hit "deny", as any sane security conscious person would.

Re: Mac: "drobox would like to control this computer using accessibility features"

Super User II

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. None of the "it might be this" reasons in that post seem to be relevant, e.g. I am not syncing with mobile or photos, and I am not sharing or redirecting any folders. Also, nothing has changed since dropbox not asking for this and now its asking for it. 

Drobox seems to be running fine even though I hit Deny, which makes it even more suspect.

Super User II

Your Dropbox client was likely automatically updated, which prompted the request for permissions. If you had previously denied those permissions, Dropbox would need to ask for them again.

There's nothing nefarious going on. Dropbox isn't taking control of your computer. Some features of Dropbox simply require permissions that Apple chose to bury in the Accessibility area.

New member | Level 2

Is this the same message?

Looks suspicious because of the long nameScreenshot 2019-09-19 15.04.15.pngScreenshot 2019-09-19 15.04.15.png

Dropboxer

Hey @asdfasdf1 and @naguibihelek

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

At first, I wanted to thank you for your reports and let you know that our team is aware and looking into this. 

Additionally, you can also have a look at this Help Center article for more info as to why the desktop app may want to turn on accessibility. 

Hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Mac: "dropbox would like to control this computer using accessibility features"
6 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post