Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Mac setup (with double fears)

Explorer | Level 4

I have two pressing concerns:

1. My setup, and 

2. If this is answered, how I can access the answer - unless "The Dropbox Genie" emails me at the email address you don't yet have!

---------

The #1 problem:  Setup is on a Mac.  

1. I COPIED all files from "Documents" to Dropbox.  Maybe should have dragged them there?

2. I put all files from Documents into a new folder marked X DOCS to store them while I worked in and out of the Dropbox folder.  Thought that would protect them in "X DOCS" but they're naturally getting obsolete.

3. Should I just trash the X DOCS folder?  If I do what will be come of my files if I one day stop using Dropbox?

4. I made a folder "DROPBOX ALIAS" on desktop for quick access so I can click on it as I have clicked on my Documents folder in the past.  It appears that I'm OK doing that, right?

5 Now I thought I'd copy a very detailed new document from Documents where I put it into Dropbox and it didn't copy - it moved!  Not sure how to get it back onto desktop but I may "share " it - not sure yet.

I love using Dropbox as I can access everything from both computers and iPhone but just not comfortable with it yet and don't want to make a major mess - or lose all info down the road.

Any help will be very much appreciated by a guy who is most likely the oldest grandparent on this website!

A

2 Replies

Re: Mac setup (with double fears)

Dropboxer
Hey @Arnie954, thanks for posting us such a detailed thread & sharing your enthusiasm! I’ll do my best to answer your questions one by one on this discussion & we’ll take it from there. 

So, let’s start over with your setup: 

#1. I COPIED all files from "Documents" to Dropbox.  Maybe should have dragged them there?

That’s right, you could’ve dragged & dropped them in Dropbox. Once synced, all your important content would be available on your account online

#2. I put all files from Documents into a new folder marked X DOCS to store them while I worked in and out of the Dropbox folder.  Thought that would protect them in "X DOCS" but they're naturally getting obsolete.

It’s my understanding that you’ve currently created three copies of your Documents in three different locations on your device Arnie (i.e. Dropbox- Documents- desktop), is that right? If so, then your docs will be saved on the location that you choose to “Save/ Save as” each time. 

#3. Should I just trash the X DOCS folder?  If I do what will be come of my files if I one day stop using Dropbox?

Deleting your folder is at your own discretion (so I can't further advise you on this matter). It's worth mentioning at this point that if you're ever over your space quota, you'll no longer be able to save new files to Dropbox & your files will no longer sync, though Dropbox won't delete any of the files already there.

4. I made a folder "DROPBOX ALIAS" on desktop for quick access so I can click on it as I have clicked on my Documents folder in the past.  It appears that I'm OK doing that, right?

That should be fine, so long as it's a shortcut for convenience' sake. 

#5. Now I thought I'd copy a very detailed new document from Documents where I put it into Dropbox and it didn't copy - it moved!  Not sure how to get it back onto desktop but I may "share " it - not sure yet.

I think that you’ve been looking for this resource, that details this behavior in a bit more depth. 

I hope that my reply takes away a bit of your fears & please do let me know here in case you need further assistance in any way & I’ll check back with you asap, it's always a pleasure discussing best practices on the Community. Oh, & happy Monday!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Mac setup (with double fears)

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jane,

Thank you so very much for the info and the  time that you put into helping me.  Dropbox should be very proud to have you on their staff, and because of your efforts, I am out of “panic mode” but still taking baby steps to avoid “falling off a cliff.”

Below are some of my questions, your responses, and NOT TO BE SHOUTING BUT TO MAKE MY LAST COMMENTS EASIER TO FOLLOW, MY “FINAL” QUESTIONS ARE IN CAPITAL LETTERS .  But I’ll still probably have more down the road.  Again, thank you so very much for your awesome help!

===================================face without mouth=======

1. I COPIED all files from "Documents" to Dropbox.  Maybe should have dragged them there?

That’s right, you could’ve dragged & dropped them in Dropbox. Once synced, all your important content would be available on your account online

SO WOULD THERE BE ANY HARM IN MY “THROWING AWAY” THE DOCUMENTS FILE THAT I PREVIOUSLY COPIED TO DROPBOX?

=============================================

#2. I put all files from Documents into a new folder marked X DOCS to store them while I worked in and out of the Dropbox folder.  Thought that would protect them in "X DOCS" but they're naturally getting obsolete.

It’s my understanding that you’ve currently created three copies of your Documents in three different locations on your device Arnie (i.e. Dropbox- Documents- desktop), is that right? If so, then your docs will be saved on the location that you choose to “Save/ Save as” each time. 

I REMOVED DOCUMENTS FROM DOCUMENTS FILE AND PLACED THEM IN NEW FOLDER NAMED “X DOCS 093018”, LEAVING THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS FILE EMPTY.  I ALSO COPIED ALL OF THOSE DOCUMENTS TO DROPBOX, SO THERE ARE NOW TWO COPIES OF THOSE DOCUMENTS - ONE IN DROPBOX AND ONE IN “X DOCS 093018”,

==============================================

#3. Should I just trash the X DOCS folder?  If I do what will be come of my files if I one day stop using Dropbox?

Deleting your folder is at your own discretion (so I can't further advise you on this matter). It's worth mentioning at this point that if you're ever over your space quota, you'll no longer be able to save new files to Dropbox & your files will no longer sync, though Dropbox won't delete any of the files already there.

I HAVE A TERRABYTE OF STORAGE ON DROPBOX, SO I FEEL THAT DELETING THE “X DOCS” FOLDER SHOULD BE OK. RIGHT?  MY INITIAL THOUGHT WAS TO KEEP IT FOR SAFETY, BUT AS I WORK IN AND OUT OF DROPBOX THE “X DOCS” FOLDER BECOMES MORE OBSOLETE EVERY DAY. 

A

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Mac setup (with double fears)
2 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post