Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Move Dropbox folder from C: (SSD) to D: (1 TB) Hard Drive

Explorer | Level 4

I would like to move my Dropbox folder from the default C:-drive (which is a limited SSD) to my D:-drive that is a 1 TB Hard-drive.  Other solutions has one clicking on the Dropbox icon from the Start Menu but that launches the Dropbox folder in Windows Explorer.  There is no 'settings' icon that I can find to change the folder sync location as suggested.  

Other solutions have you making adjustments to the Registry.  I really don't want to have to do that.  

Any thoughts are appreciated.  

Tags (1)
36 Replies

Re: Move Dropbox folder from C: (SSD) to D: (1 TB) Hard Drive

Super User

Hello @SirBruce, First launch Dropobx app from Start menu if it is not already running. Then go to the your taskbar tray area, and look for Dropbox icon. Click the Dropbox icon > then the click the cogwheel/gear icon > choose Preferences

Untitled.png

Go to the Sync tab, and click the Move button and select your new location. 

Capture.png

More info -https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

Explorer | Level 4
Perfect! Worked great - thanks much!

New member | Level 2

Different person here. Same issue, plus a complication.

The files started being moved, and I went to bed.

Apparently, there was a Windows update, and the computer shut down during the night.

When I restarted the computer, I had/have TWO Dropbox folders (on SSD and on internal D:\ drive) with different numbers of files, and sync was still locked to the SSD drive -- so I'm receiving warnings that Dropbox can't sync because there's limited space.

When I tried the move function again --- hoping to continue the file move -- it told me that there already was a Dropbox on the D:\ drive (true), and it wouldn't create another one.

What can I do?  

Dropboxer
Hey @skyeman1, apologies for getting back to you in delay & thanks for posting us here on the matter. I’m just reaching back out to you to see if you’re still facing this syncing issue. 

If so, please do let me know here & we’ll take it from there. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I have this same issue. Dropbox itself is installed on my D drive but the sync folders are in the C (SSD) drive which is maxed out. I tried following the above instructions but cog wheel doesn't give me a "preferences" option. I am running windows 10. In the control panel under storage options it lists dropbox properties and the loction is not changeable. In the past I have tried just moving the files to the D drive but then I am no longer able to sync them with the cloud until I go to the dropbox website and upload the files that way.

New member | Level 2

Nevermind I figured it out! Yahoo!!

Dropboxer

Hey @JenolynC, I’m checking back with you on the progress. Have you been able to resolve your initial concern? If you need further assistance in any way, you can just let me know here. Thanks & happy Monday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

I too cannot access the dropbox icon, nor get it to run via run as administrator :(.  I'm sure I already had changed the sync location to my scratch drive as I too have a smaller SSD drive.  

Explorer | Level 4

I know this has been a popular issue, but I have tried, the uninstall, reinstall, change sync location*(when the bloody dropbox actually appeared in the systray), hooked up my phone, etc, but STILL the dropbox icon will not appear in the systray.  I've deactivated my virus and firewalls, and even added dropbox as one of the excluded programs to allow in, still, dropbox icon doesnt show and doesnt update in the file explorer.  The only way I can use dropbox on here is if I go to the website and upload/download files.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

36 Replies
11 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post