Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Move Dropbox folder from C: (SSD) to D: (1 TB) Hard Drive

New member | Level 2

Thank you it is working now. The icon was hidden by the white arrow in the system tray.

Explorer | Level 4

I recently changed PCs and wnted to move my files from the old one to the new one. The default location of the Dropbox folder was on the C Drive - but that isn't big enough so I changed the location of my Dropbox folder from the C Drive to the D Drive (using the method above), which IS big enough. All was fine until last night, when a Dropbox update apparently re-set the Dropbox folder location back to the C Drive and then, when I switched on, a Sync started to load up the folder in C. The folder on the D Drive is still there, but is being ignored by the Sync. I tried to move the Dropbox folder to D again (using the method above again) but it tells me that a Dropbox folder already exists there and I cannot go any further. Why has the update overwritten my preference for a new location - and how can I get Dropbox to use the D location again?

Dropboxer

Hey there @Paulo53,

I'd suggest trying an advanced reinstall of the desktop app to remove the previous settings of the app. After you sign back into your Dropbox account in the app, you will need to choose the option "Advanced settings" and select the correct location for your Dropbox folder.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne

Thanks for your advice - the Dropbox folder is on Drive D again, where I want it to be. The download of the files back into it took over 24 hours, as it did when I first set up this new PC 3 days ago.

I am concerned that this may happen again. The move of the Dropbox folder back to the default location on Drive C (which is not big enough) occurred without any input from me. It happened as a result of a Dropbox Update that was applied yesterday morning. Why did the Dropbox folder move, will it happen again when the next Update is applied and how can I stop it from messing up my PC again? Although it's now fixed (thank you), it rendered my PC unuseable for over a day and I cannot allow that to happen again,

Paul

Dropboxer

Hey @Paulo53,

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to say what caused the Dropbox folder to move incorrectly back to the C drive. I might suggest checking out this article here as moving the Dropbox folder to another/external hard drive can lead to some issues with the desktop app.

At this point, I'd suggest that if this occurs again to give me a nudge here as soon as it occurs and we can look more in depth as to why this occurred. It will give us a better insight as to the root cause.

I'm glad to hear the the issue appears to be solved as of now though!

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I have had the same problem as @Paulo53 - after the Dropbox update a couple of days ago it was telling me that my hard disk was full, and I realised that it was syncing to the C: drive not the much larger D: drive. It didn't occur to me until I read this post that the update might have caused the change. I am currently waiting for all my files to be moved and I daren't shut down in case it all has to start up again next time. I did the move by changing the name of the previous Dropbox folder on D:, but now I realise there are some files in there that aren't going to sync. 

Can you look into why the Dropbox folder is being moved because of this update? I bet a lot of people with two hard disks are having problems because of this. (I'm on an HP Envy laptop). 

Dropboxer

Hey there @cofactoranna,

We wouldn't be able to say for sure that this is caused by the recent update of the desktop app as I believe we would have received a lot of reports here if the setting was removed due to the new version of the app.

It might have something to do with the Dropbox folder being located on a different drive as you can experience unexpected behaviour when it's not on the same drive as your OS.

For the moment, leaving the computer running while the move completes is the best way forward and should the folder be relocated again unexpectedly, can you try an advanced reinstall to see if that resolves the issue.

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 4

I have the exact same issue. I can get as far as "moving" the Dropbox folder location to my D drive. The program starts to move the folder, then after about 10 minutes it gives an error message that file somethig already exists in the destination. I cannot skip or overwrite. Then, when I try to do it again, the system provides an error that a D:Dropbox folder already existed, and would not allow for me to move it. 

I really need help. Dropbox is too important. 

Jose Rafael 

Dropboxer

Hello there @josergonzalez,

If you still haven't been able to move the Dropbox folder over to your D drive, I'd suggest removing any and all Dropbox files/folders from the D drive. This is just to ensure that any copies that may have been made in trying to move the Dropbox folder won't affect any future attempts.

Then, I'd recommend restarting your computer to ensure that you don't have anything open that may be accessing the files within the Dropbox folder, and then try to move the Dropbox folder again. 

Let me know if you receive the same error again and if possible, please send along a screenshot of any error messages you may get.

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

I am seeking an answer too.

I have " moved" the files to D drive according to directions... but now the files still show up in C drive,,, using almost 80 % of that,,, and seem to be in the D drive too.. but not in the visual display of % of D space used. 

Frustrating but there must be a  way to point the terabytes of Dropbox to my D drive and not my C drive..

I am afraid to delete the C drive file,,, all remain.. I'm afraid they will sync and destroy all the files online or also on the D drive.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Move Dropbox folder from C: (SSD) to D: (1 TB) Hard Drive
36 Replies
11 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post