cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

David S.266
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have an Intel Compute Stick with very little storage on the device itself. I tried to move my Dropbox folder to a microSD card installed in my Intel Compute Stick but I got an error message from Dropbox because the microSD card is removable. Is there any way of overriding this, so that I can put my Dropbox folder on my microSD card?

75 Replies 75

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
@adam l.February 04, 2016 12:03

RE "I had been searching and I found this. Just did it and it works perfectly.http://copytaste.com/io8211xb"

I have performed that trick, and attempted to cause a data loss event, it simply wouldnt happen, the application hangs if the folder is missing, so if the drive is removed the "dropbox" is reported as missing and the app faults out.

Its not so stupid as to say "Wow he's lost his entire dropbox folder, I better delete all his cloud files also!"

You can also simply fake a drive letter (see SUBST) and assign the dropbox folder there, shut dropbox down, then remove that fake drive and put the external in at the same spot, move the dropbox folder onto it and then start dropbox back up. It doesnt care less once running if its on an external.

Same effect, remove the drive the dropbox folder goes bye bye and the app faults out.

You really have to go out of your way to cause a data loss, such as remove the drive and have a network path with a identical located dropbox folder already sitting on that drive letter under it with an identical dropbox folder on it to causing the app to think you just emptied the folder.

Mollie S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I got around the not enough space issue by creating a test folder within my drop box files and then limiting the sync to only that folder. Since there was nothing in that folder it was small enough to sync, and I mounted the external as previously described then I switched the download location to the mounted drive within the (C:) drive. After I successfully switched the location I turned all the other folders on through sync and it didn't have an issue because it never throws a "not enough space" warning if there actually is enough space.

Seriously tho Dropbox, this shouldn't be necessary.

Jozsef S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem. Acer 2 in 1 here with SD card as second drive.

What is so complicated, if the drive isn't available, don't sync. Simple.

Now, in this situation, I have 10 gb free on the non-removable c:

Of course I have to select the D drive which is reported as removable. But a know-it-all at drobox decided not to use removable drives. Fail.

Beltway B.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Really? You couldn't be bothered to read the first page where adam l. tells you in detail how to work with removable drives. It's really difficult if you are too lazy to even try. 

Dropbox on a Thumb Drive

read it, ..... delicious 

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Its way easier to complain than actually read an answer 🙂

RegNatarajan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nice one!

mavinom
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you! This works perfectly

Kelly H.12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you so much!

cnw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nice!  I have my laptop tied to a large corporate Dropbox.  Stupidly I synced in what turned out to be 60Gb of stuff, which basically maxed out my 256Gb hard disk.  After applying Adam's workaround I got the not enough space message.  Dropbox apparently assumes the remaining space for the C drive includes the mounted drive.  Mollie's trick saved the day, since selective unsync dumped most of the 60Gb from C, allowing me to move the Dropbox folder to the SD card.  After selectively resyncing everything, my 60Gb of Dropbox stuff was restored (took quite a while).  If Dropbox thinks this is a bad idea, fine, but they should let it go with a warning rather than refuse to let the buyer beware.  Thanks.

Nash
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Adam your a star. There's a nice cold beer if you ever in the ME postcode of Kent. Cheers

Need more support?