cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Multiple Members with Multiple Mac Users

Multiple Members with Multiple Mac Users

rbsalz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a Dropbox Business Advanced Plan.  I am using two of the member accounts, one for business files and one for personal files.  I want to separate silos for work and personal matters.  

I use a Mac and have two user accounts set up, one for business and one personal.  

I want to set up the business Mac user account to sync with with the DB user member account via the DB app.  I want the Mac personal user to sync with the DB personal member account.  

I downloaded the DB app and set up the Mac business user to sync with the DB business member.  It works just fine.  

I then set up the personal user to sync with the personal DB member account, and initially, it worked fine too.  I could switch between user accounts and both DB member accounts synced with both Mac user accounts they way I intended.  

But the next day, I logged onto the Mac as the business user and the DB app worked fine. When I logged into the personal user Mac account, the DB app wouldn't start.  "Couldn't start Dropbox.  This is usually because of a permissions error.  Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error."  

I can resolve by reinstalling the DB app, and setting up the personal account all over again.  If I log out of one of the accounts, then log back in, I get the same error message.  

I appreciate any help from anyone who has encountered this.   

Thanks.  

22 Replies 22

jeninejessica
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Oh thanks heavens. We've been using two users signed into two different DB for years on our PC. Got an iMac last week and haven't been able to get it to work. Exact same issues you guys are having. DB support had no answers and just repeatedly told me to to the copy/paste four lines of code that does nothing. They clearly didn't even understand the problem I was havng with multiple computer login accounts wanting to each connect to their OWN dropbox. So frustrating trying to explain over and over knowing that they aren't getting it at all. 

I'm just running out the door but so hopeful this will work! 

GFP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yahoo!  That fixed it perfectly. Thank you!

jeninejessica
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yup, it's been several days and neither of us has had an error message or have to re-install and log back in. Yahoo! 

Need more support?