cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Members with Multiple Mac Users

Multiple Members with Multiple Mac Users

rbsalz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a Dropbox Business Advanced Plan.  I am using two of the member accounts, one for business files and one for personal files.  I want to separate silos for work and personal matters.  

I use a Mac and have two user accounts set up, one for business and one personal.  

I want to set up the business Mac user account to sync with with the DB user member account via the DB app.  I want the Mac personal user to sync with the DB personal member account.  

I downloaded the DB app and set up the Mac business user to sync with the DB business member.  It works just fine.  

I then set up the personal user to sync with the personal DB member account, and initially, it worked fine too.  I could switch between user accounts and both DB member accounts synced with both Mac user accounts they way I intended.  

But the next day, I logged onto the Mac as the business user and the DB app worked fine. When I logged into the personal user Mac account, the DB app wouldn't start.  "Couldn't start Dropbox.  This is usually because of a permissions error.  Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error."  

I can resolve by reinstalling the DB app, and setting up the personal account all over again.  If I log out of one of the accounts, then log back in, I get the same error message.  

I appreciate any help from anyone who has encountered this.   

Thanks.  

22 Replies 22

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

GFP

Desktop Client is an app that runs in the background which syncs anything put in a literal folder on your PC/Mac.  But you only can have ONE account linked not two or Three.  The only way is what I think you have been doing is thru the browser or what we call the Web interface, where you can log into any account that you have login info on and log out and go to the next.  I think we are confused about what the Desktop Client is.  Does this make sense?

also to make it clear, one account per user.  If you are referring to two or more different user logins into your computer then it should work with one per user but only if you have multiple user accounts/desktop etc

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

rbsalz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Chris_J,  

This is a Mac-specific issue.  How familiar are you with Macs and User accounts?  

I installed the DB app, ran it on Mac User account 1 linking it to DB business account Member account 1.  That member account has it own unique email address log on and password.  I then switched to Mac User account 2.  I ran the DB app, and linked it to DB busines account Member 2, which also has a different email address log on and a different password.  It worked fine all day...as long as I stay logged in to both Mac User accounts.  

Things go sideways when I log out of then back into one of the Mac User accounts.  I get the "Can't Start Dropbox" message.  

Why is it that it works when initially set up, but then craps out when logging out of and back into Mac User accounts and/or when shutting down the Mac entirely then restarting?  

rbsalz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Chris_J,

I appreciate the tip, but until I understand what the underlying issue is, I'm hesitant to try your fix.  Thanks, though.  

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks rbsalz

thanks for the details that you have given.  It wasn't clear before that one has their own desktop login.  Most people I deal with here at the forums, think multiple users means more than one user using the same desktop, email, etc.  So I wasn't sure.  I see clearly that you and others are having real problems.  I do deal with Macs, I use one at work and I am using one at home.

But even then, I haven't got a clue why you are having this issue.  I suggest emailing them about it by going here: https://www.dropbox.com/support/email/dropbox_app/submit

and good luck and sorry I couldn't help you

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

rbsalz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Chris_J,  

No worries.  Thanks for the thoughts.  

I already had a lengthy conversation with a DB tech person who has esclated the issue.  I just thought I'd try the forum while I was waiting for a response.  

Thanks again.  

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

it would be very helpful, if you are able to get it fixed, to list what helped on this thread so others who have the same issue can get the solution.  Thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello people, sorry for the slightly delayed response. 

@rbsalz: Thanks for the efforts so far and providing a detailed report. I've found your ticket on our system and passed your comments there to keep all the relevant info under the same email chain. You should be hearing from our higher level technician soon!

@GFP: I've just reached out via your Dropbox email address with some questions for you so we can have a more in-depth look into this with all of our tools at our disposal. Take a look at your inbox (ticket ID: 9151411) and we'll take it from there. 

@Chris_J: Thanks for trying to assist on this one - much appreciated. 

Have a lovely weekend!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

razorback
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hello, I have same issue. 2 user accounts and when I try to launch on the second one I have same error message : 

"Couldn't start Dropbox.  This is usually because of a permissions error.  Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error."

Should I open a case too ? I already tried to uninstall, reinstall etc etc.

Thank you

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello razorback

Thanks for reaching out here.  Try to look at this article https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/stuck-syncing especially note where it says permissions errors,  Click on the OS that you are using, then follow the suggestion.  Also look under Permissions denied Section

Good luck

rbsalz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

All, 

I believe my issue has been resolved.  I heard from Isaac from Dropbox support:

"The development team has released a new beta version of the Dropbox desktop application that may resolve the issue you are experiencing.

If you would like, you can download this version of the Dropbox desktop application from the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=71.3.105&plat=mac&type=full

If this resolves the issue, you should be able to continue using this version as it will update automatically to the next available build going forward."

I installed this version and set everything up again.  I've been using it sparingly for the last few days and have not had any issues.  

Good Luck.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jeninejessica New member | Level 2
    GFP New member | Level 2
    rbsalz Helpful | Level 6
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?