Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Multiple issues, Mojave

Explorer | Level 4

I recently purchased a new computer. For the past 3 weeks or so, I've been waiting for a few folders to download and they simply won't. I've removed and reinstalled the app no less than 8 times. Selective sync doesn't work at all. Most of the time it's just hogging the **bleep** out of my member and stuck on "starting". I've resorted to simply going to the site and downloading complete folders. I don't want your terrible app. I don't want your useless file manager. I don't want to use paper. I don't need complex app integrations. I don't need new features, I need stability. I just want your product to simply sync my files. That is it. Are there any fixes coming to Mojave issues? Will there be any bloat-free product options in the future?

Tags (1)
10 Replies

Re: Multiple issues, Mojave

Dropboxer

Hi @brandon_deweese; welcome to the Community.

I'm sorry this had to be your first post here and I'd really like to help if you'd like to work on the issue you described with your selective sync settings and the app being stuck at 'Starting'. 

As you probably know, the performance of the Dropbox application starts to decline after reaching about 300,000 files (which is a soft limit, meaning that there are users with way more files than those figures). Could you give me a rough estimate of how many files your desktop app is trying to sync

If it's a large amount, it's normal that it'd take more time to (re)index them all upon starting it up. Does it get pass the 'Starting' message at all? 

I'd also make sure that the connection to the internet isn't somehow interrupted by an antivirus program, a firewall or even a VPN/proxy setting.

If the app is still consuming large amounts of CPU, please take a look at the following article too as it might help pinpoint the culprit: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/high-cpu-usage 

Moreover, note that the new desktop app doesn’t change your Dropbox folder in Finder and you can keep using it exactly as you did before while you can also choose for your folders to open in the Dropbox folder instead of the desktop app.

Last but not least, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback here. We work hard to make Dropbox the best it can be and your thoughts, ideas and suggestions are always helping us improve our services.

I'm sorry for the long post Brandon. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

So...what it seems like what you're saying that even though I pay $199/ year for 3 TB of Dropbox space, performance issues don't allow me to sync even a fraction of the 800+GB I'm currently using?

This seems fraudulent. I mean, how does one utilize 3TB without exceeding 300k files? Anyway, the same issues. Nothing has changed. Perpetually stuck on Starting...

I mean it's probably over 300k files in my dropbox, but Im not trying to sync that many to computer

Dropboxer

I'm sorry for the late reply Brandon. Is your desktop app still stuck at 'Starting'? 

As per your initial concern, the 300,000 files threshold is, as mentioned, a soft limit which means that there are users with way more files than that. 

That being said, if you're still not seeing any difference in the app's status, I'd like to have a further look into this; if you don't mind that is. So, please let me know if you'd like me to reach out to your Dropbox associated email address directly to work on this together. 

Thank you! 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

A solid month of this and nothing has really changed. It's off "Starting", and says it's "syncing" but doesn't have a number and I still don't have my files. 

Explorer | Level 4

I mean, nothing has synced in 13 days.... really?Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 1.06.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-12 at 1.06.51 PM.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the update on this Brandon. 

If you'd like, I'll be happy to help look into this matter via our ticketing system (where I can provide account and device specific information). 

While we're at it, do you happen to use symlinks, hardlinks or aliases on the affected device? I'm only asking as these can sometimes cause issues like the one you're seeing. 

In any case, I'll be waiting for your next reply @brandon_deweese

Walter

Explorer | Level 4

what Are symlinks, hardlinks or aliases?

Star Collaborator | Level 18

Hi @brandon_deweese,

Generally 'links' (or similar of any kind) is a way to access same content (file or folder) from 2 or more places. Initially when you create some new files or folders, they are placed in corresponding place in the file system and that's their place, where they could be found out. Such a place is a "hard link" to the created content (file or folder). So, in all cases when you create a new file, for example, you create also one "hard link", connecting directory (where the name is placed in) and actual fiile content. All up to here is done absolutely automatically (without your explicit intention - by the OS, your MAC). Usually there is only one place where such content could be accessed from. However, it's possible "hard link", to the same content, to be created on some other place, so the same actual file could be accessed (viewed or changed) from this place. In fact there is no way a "hard link" to affect the Dropbox application work or any other application (nobody can make difference between initial and secon... and so on links 😉). Here probably @Walter gets confused and adds this option as possible reason. Alias is a little bit different way to connect some file to different place. Alias doesn't point directly to the file content, but to one of the hard links pointing there (usually the only hard link). Symbolic link is another way to connect content from different places. Different thing here is that symbolic link points to some place in the tree of directories, not to particular file or folder at all, but to file or folder sitting there (if any) in every one particular moment (i.e. the thing pointed could change in the time).

As you don't know what's this, most probably you haven't used any link type (at least not explicitly). Sometimes symbolic links could be part of some bunch of files, carried together. So such links could exist in your Dropbox (or any other) directory, even while you don't have any idea.

Hope you can run terminal window. If so, you can check for some "strange" symbolic links existence, using following command:

ls -alRP ~/Dropbox | grep " -> "

Copy/paste it on command prompt and press "Return" at the end. Could take some time (depending on files/folders count), be patient. If command prompt bring up without any other entries, you are lucky - no any symbolic links. Otherwise every line represent one symbolic link found somewhere in you Dropbox directory.

Hope this clarifies the matter to some extent and give you some direction. 😎

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks. Not using them. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Multiple issues, Mojave
10 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post