Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

My computer and iPad don't seem to be syncing my account, how can I fix this?

Explorer | Level 3

I recently paid, what, $118, for my annual membership including "upgrade" to Dropbox plus. I did this on my ipad. Meanwhile, I have been using Dropbox on my MacBook -- and yet, it was not connected to the ICON. So I signed into the icon Dropbox (which said I had to) and lo and behold...  if I clicked on "plus" I'd be charged all over again. Meanwhile, there has been no syncing between my MacBook drop box and my ipad dropbox in months (I have no idea about my iphone!). This is so frigging confusing. And I am afraid to lose files, items, .....  

WHY DOESN'T DROPBOX HAVE A PHONE NUMBER?? I want to call a Dropbox Tech who can help me!!!!!

18 Replies

Re: confusion

Dropboxer

Hey there @batshira,

Just as a note, I wanted to clarify that phone support is only currently available to Dropbox Business users with the info found in the Admin console. 

In terms of the issue you described, it sounds like you might be signed into different accounts on your computer and iPad. Could you check the email address you're signed in with on both devices?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

I did not get the answer I needed.

Plus, I wrote a long email asking further questions that apparently was never delivered via your system.

It would be so much easier if I could TALK to someone.

I will NOT be renewing dropbox next year.

Dropboxer

Hey @batshira,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find your reply here. I understand your frustrations and I'm more than happy to help from here!

Did you try the steps here on how to find which account you're signed into? If so, please let me know what you found and we can go from there.

I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you - thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3
Dear Daphne,
Thanks for getting in touch again. 
Yes, I can see that the email I use with my iPad account is different from the email on my MacBook. But the problem goes deeper, because somehow I agreed to upgrade to "Plus" on the iPad (which is not the most up-to-date dropbox, because I work more on my Laptop) -- while on the Laptop, I have "Basic." --And I also have a *separate* folder that shows up in my "Finder" list -- that is the *Complete* gathering of all my files. But for whatever reason, it is not connected to the Dropbox icon (tho it appears I can MOVE folders into the Dropbox associated with the icon).
Yes, I've gotten myself in trouble, here. If we could TALK it would take probably 5 minutes to work it out.
But I look forward, again, to whatever advice you can give.

Thanks....

Dropboxer

Hey @batshira, apologies for the long reply here, I tried to include all the relevant details needed!

We can get all the data under one account with the steps below, and afterwards we can alter the subscription or email address for the account depending on what you prefer to do.

On the computer, I'd suggest to move the folder with the complete collection of your files to you desktop so it's easy to locate, along with any other data you need from your Dropbox folder (that isn't within the account linked to your iPad).

You can then unlink the Basic account from the desktop app by following these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right corner.
  3. Choose Preferences...
  4. Go to the Account tab and choose to "Unlink".

You'll then be prompted to connect an account to the desktop app, and so you can sign in with the email address connected to your iPad. Once the app has synced the account to your computer and the sync status shows it's "up to date", you can then rearrange the files.

You can drag and drop the files you previously moved to the desktop into the Dropbox folder. These will sync to your account and then should show on your iPad. You can use this Dropbox folder like any other folder on your computer, with the added benefit that it syncs any changes made within it to your Dropbox account.

I hope this helps, keep me posted on the progress - thanks!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne -- 

Just wanted to thank you for the detailed response.

I have not had time yet to sit down & follow your instructions on this, but hope to do so tonight or tomorrow.  Then I'll let you know how it went...

With appreciation,

'batshira'

Dropboxer

No problem at all @batshira!

I'll be ready here to continue whenever you have the time so there's no rush. If you have any questions during the process too, please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here and I'll be happy to help.

Until then, have a great day!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Daphne,

I am so upset.

I moved the folder called "Old Dropbox" to the desktop.

IT DISAPPEARED.

It is gone.

I cannot find it anywhere.

It has all my work in it.

What do I do now?

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne,

Email # 2, after disastrously moving my "old dropbox" to my desktop:

My dropbox on the ipad has historic stuff.

I had already moved my latest folder to the "new" dropbox on my laptop.

So, OK, I've lost almost everything but I have a copy of SOME of it.

I am just going to continue w/the steps you've suggested.

I am just freaking out, because if I lose any MORE Of my stuff because of the steps you have suggested to me, I will be in huge trouble. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My computer and iPad don't seem to be syncing my account, how can I fix this?
18 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post