Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

My desktop app requests to be updated but the installer won't run, any help?

Helpful | Level 5

My dropbox asks to be updated, but when I download the installer, it won’t run and update it.

I’ve tried enabling the firewall, and it didn’t work.

BEST

29 Replies

Re: Install won’t work

Dropboxer
Hey there @Diego5,

It could be possibly that your antivirus or firewall is blocking the installer from running, could you ensure that Dropbox is whitelisted within these softwares or even try temporarily disabling them and try running the installer again?

Otherwise, can you try downloading and installing with the offline installer from here to see if that does the trick? 

Finally, can you let me know the OS version of the device that you’re trying to update the app on? Should you receive any errors along the way, please send me a screenshot of this.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Daphne, as I said in my message I deactivated the firewall (and antivirus goes with it).

I forgot to mention, but also tried to use the offline installer suggested in the FAQ for this problem.

Nothing worked. I have no error message. The installer simply doesn’t run. I’m on Windows 10 Pro.

BEST

Dropboxer
Hey @Diego5,

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn’t sure since you mentioned enabling the firewall so I just wanted to make sure. upside-down face

Can you try doing an advanced reinstallation of the desktop app? You can find the exact steps outlined here in our Help Center article. 

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Hello, Daphne.

I did as requested, and the installer does not work. I click it twice (as requested in the instructions) and nothing happens.

BEST

Dropboxer
Hey @Diego5,

To do some further investigation into this, would you mind if I reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile?

Otherwise, if you already submitted a ticket with our Support team then please feel free to let me know the ticket reference number (eg.#1234567) so that I can follow up there with all the info provided here.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 5

Please, do reach. BEST

Dropboxer
I’ve reached out to your email @Diego5, please just check your inbox when you have the time and we can continue from there.

Cheers!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

Hello, did this issue get resolved?  I'm having the same issue and tried the steps mentioned in this thread as well.  Thanks

New member | Level 2

Hello, have you tried unistalling the one you have, and then download again the app and try to install it?

I would suggest you run advanced system care or any other thing that cleans your PC, because sometimes its residual files that wont let you do that.
also before running the installation click with your right mouse and execute as administrator!

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My desktop app requests to be updated but the installer won't run, any help?
29 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution